Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indian "Windows licencing" scammers caught on camera

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Indian "Windows licencing" scammers caught on camera

What if you answered that you don't use Windows?

Beans
    Hidden!

It seems that other people get all the fun. I don't get the chance to waist their time; because, they don't call me.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by /ADM View Post
    What if you answered that you don't use Windows?
    Well that's no fun; didn't you hear what happened when I said "I'm a Linux engineer"? They hang up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by macbreak View Post
    Amusement and smiles go mile and miles

So glad you enjoy this. I aim to actively engage them and have them call me regularly, where I'll make sure to record more of their gibberings, and keep them occupied, which helps other (innocent) people not get scammed. Next time I won't mention the "L" word

I love how these people make up words and mis-prounce phrases... "Are you computer ingenio?" ... I value the perceived compliment, I am indeed "ingenio" if you say so... and I think he meant "engineer" but I'll take "ingenio" and stick with it - it sounds better

LMAO

I posted a thread about that up here somewhere. I take them all the way .. (even have a Windows 7 box just for them) ... then they try to point out a scrolling log where there are kernel conflicts .. etc.. then I tell them that I just got an alert that told me that their network is infected ... then they get nasty .. then I tell them that I am inside their computer .... then they get really nasty. After a while it gets boring.. One time I was trying to get their IP . They will not give you a web-adress (Tech Ninja out of Arizona of all things).. and so When I asked them how much to fix my computer they said $75 dollars. I said "Do you think I am nuts?" and they said "Yes .. we think you are nuts!" .. so they knew I was waiting for them. bwhahahahaha.. Really sad these people ... Now I just tell them that Windows *IS* malware ... so they haven't called in .. like ages now..

Knock on Gorilla glass !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by macbreak View Post
    Well that's no fun; didn't you hear what happened when I said "I'm a Linux engineer"? They hang up.
    Yep .. the idea is that you want to extract some extra info (if you have the extra time for fun) so you can find a locale or get an IP etc.. and then have some fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Nice. Just last night I fixed someone's computer who fell for these thugs. They somehow encrypted the registry so Windows wouldn't boot without a password. I booted a live Linux Mint CD I had kicking around, mounted the Windows partition, copied a registry backup from a few days ago over the encrypted registry files, unmounted, and booted Windows, and we were back in business. Sort of a "system restore" done in Linux.

I see these calls hit my landline once in a while but one of my Ubuntu boxes blocks the calls automagically with a "This number has been disconnected" message. Maybe I should let the next one through and have some fun with them with an Ubuntu VM. Watch them stumble around in Unity looking for the start button.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    Nice. Just last night I fixed someone's computer who fell for these thugs. They somehow encrypted the registry so Windows wouldn't boot without a password. I booted a live Linux Mint CD I had kicking around, mounted the Windows partition, copied a registry backup from a few days ago over the encrypted registry files, unmounted, and booted Windows, and we were back in business. Sort of a "system restore" done in Linux.

I see these calls hit my landline once in a while but one of my Ubuntu boxes blocks the calls automagically with a "This number has been disconnected" message. Maybe I should let the next one through and have some fun with them with an Ubuntu VM. Watch them stumble around in Unity looking for the start button.
    ... and get an IP and then .. er umm an ECM lol

http://www.techninjas.com/
    Last edited by ventrical; December 5th, 2014 at 08:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12