Thread: Firefox autostarts videos; can I change that?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Firefox autostarts videos; can I change that?

My internet connection is free but throttled and capped; it is not intended to view videos. Firefox autoplays some videos; how can I change that default behavior? I didn't find anything through Google, so I thought I'd ask the community. TIA.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Firefox autostarts videos; can I change that?

What do you mean 'some' videos? Do you mean Advertisements videos? You can prevent that by installing Adblock Plus add-on. Here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/ Or you can simply disable JavaScript or Shockwave Flash.

Beans
    Distro

Not so much advertising.

Specifically, Yahoo's home page imbeds several video windows into the home page, some of which autoplay (ie, html5 video of a failed rocket launch). With my slow connection speed I can have several tabs open before an unseen video buffers enough to start playing. To make it more interesting, I will hear the audio from a video that starts playing in a tab I am not viewing and the default seems to be to hide the controls for the video windows. A slow connection speed can mean that the imbedded video (of several on different web pages) will not appear to be playing although the audio is present. This makes it difficult to figure out which video is actually playing (no movement of the visuals and no controls visible) of the several possibilities.

i welcome your suggestions to deal with this.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I will use NoScript add-on to disable pop-up videos. (worked for me). Do you right-click the videos? I got several options when I right-clicked it. Or you can try this - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/flashblock/ , https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-flash-blocker Those are flash blocker( can configure it to stop autoplay videos by default). If still not working, try this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...don/stop-tube/ Please try these add-ons first before using about:config on firefox because if you do mistake in configuring it, you might break your Firefox.
    Last edited by flaymond; November 29th, 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for the delay; I had to run an errand away from the computer.

Thanks for the advice; I had NoScript installed before, but I guess I forgot it when I did a clean install of 14.04. I'll try out your suggestions and mark this 'solved' for now. Thank you!