Thread: Macbook Pro 8,2 and 14.04

Hybrid View

Beans

Macbook Pro 8,2 and 14.04

Hey all.

So I FINALLY got Ubuntu to install and use the intel chip instead of radeon. I did it using this tip here. This is great news for me because I have been trying to figure out how to do this for a long time. Here is my only issue now. After installing Ubuntu, the grub has taken over when first starting my mac. If i boot ubuntu through refind, it will not boot into linux. The screen does not display anything even though it is on.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

Also, does this have any adverse effects running Ubuntu this way on my mac?

Beans

Re: Macbook Pro 8,2 and 14.04

Quote Originally Posted by pdiddles03 View Post
    Hey all.

So I FINALLY got Ubuntu to install and use the intel chip instead of radeon. I did it using this tip here. This is great news for me because I have been trying to figure out how to do this for a long time. Here is my only issue now. After installing Ubuntu, the grub has taken over when first starting my mac. If i boot ubuntu through refind, it will not boot into linux. The screen does not display anything even though it is on.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

Also, does this have any adverse effects running Ubuntu this way on my mac?
    @p:

I scanned over the linked item, it's beyond my pay grade, but I believe I have a MBPro 4 or 5 something . . . and after the 14.04 install I had a screen, and then I was able to use the "additional drivers" part of software update to select the "nvidia" driver that they recommended . . . . But, some of your post isn't entirely clear . . . also are you doing "dual boot" or just running ubuntu? Did you do "automatic" install or did you use "manual" to set up three partitions, including one for "bios_grub"? Did you check the md5sum number on the iso before doing the install? And, then if you have refind and "it doesn't boot linux" . . . how is "grub taking over"???

I generally recommend using "dual boot" . . . but, when these kind of problems show up after an install, it's usually easier to "nuke and pave" and do the install again . . . only takes 15 or 20 minutes . . . rather than possibly hours to troubleshoot a botched install . . . .

e.e.p.