Thread: Renice keyboard and mouse?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Renice keyboard and mouse?

Recently I have noticed that my mouse and keyboard inputs are getting less priority. I am still doing the same kinds of things on the same machines.

Random lag is causing keystrokes to vanish into the nether, along with mouse moves and clicks. This is happening on three different machines: a whimpy little netbook, a fairly beefy (if aged) gaming laptop and a newer, more powerful, desktop. Of course, it is less noticable on the laptop and I rarely notice it on the powerful desktop.

I could change the nice level of every program that *might* slow things down, but that seems like a silly way to go about it, not to mention more time consuming than giving priority to the keyboard and mouse -- which, in my opinion, should have priority always and under virtually all conditions.

I am aware that there are two "Nice" versions (a system version and a shell version) but I am unclear which to use and how. Nor do I know the current nice level of the keyboard and mouse.
    Shifting through Google searches and forum searches has yielded some interesting information, but nothing to clear things up for me.

Anyone have any experience or information about the keyboard and mouse nice levels and suggestions on new settings?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you doubly so if you have anything to contribute!
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - That principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Renice keyboard and mouse?

This seems odd to me.

Are you sure that the install medium you have used, assuming it was the same for all installations, is a good one?

Did you check the .iso file against the hashes published at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes, as it seems strange that it is happening on different machines with different specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

One was a Kubuntu (12.10 I think). Ubuntu 12.04 on another. And Ubuntu 14.04 on the third. They are all 14.04 now and updated.
    And we always do the checksum.

Thank you for putting the idea out there.
    Last edited by HousieMousie2; November 25th, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - That principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sorry if this is a silly question, but the mice/keyboard(s) involved here are wired and not wireless or bluetooth?
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

None are bluetooth. Two wireless, one wired. One of the wireless is older (in mouse years), and it is on the fastest machine, hardware-wise. The other wireless and the wired are just over three months old.

In two machines the keyboards are integrated (netbook and laptop) and the desktop keyboard is wired.

No question is too silly in the pursuit of the answer!

Thank you for chiming in.
    Last edited by HousieMousie2; November 28th, 2014 at 01:15 PM.
    Herbert Spencer