Thread: FFmpeg (Slight Return)

Beans

FFmpeg (Slight Return)

FFmpeg has been returned though atm only it's binaries will use it. Generally speaking any source that could benefit from it over libav will need to be specifically built off of. (over time some may start to appear as upgrades to the default package(s)

Also atm it has only native aac encoding, maybe an 'extra' version will appear sometime or nothing a self rebuild or ppa can't resolve.
    Should allow the return of mplayer & if any dev pays attention an actual working version of cmus-ffmpeg plugin among other advantages..

Beans

Re: FFmpeg (Slight Return)

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    FFmpeg has been returned [...]
    Great news for Ubuntu
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Will be interesting over time to see how it develops.
    At some point they'll really need to do extra package(s)
    (for other reasons checked out winff & noticed it can't use this ffmpeg for aac audio without altering the preset(s) as it uses libvo-aacenc which can come only come in via extra officially.
    Vivid now includes libx265 & it's avail. in the current ffmpeg (2.4.4), currently 35/1.4

mplayer will likely only return if it does so in Debian, haven't seen any movement there
    (- I'm pretty sure I saw an offer of help regarding a dynamically linked mplayer/ffmpeg from FFmpeg or Mplayer dev(s), they should take advantage of the generosity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    mplayer will likely only return if it does so in Debian, haven't seen any movement there
    Mind you MPlayer development itself has been more than a little slow these days, I hope it is not sliding into retirement...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Mind you MPlayer development itself has been more than a little slow these days, I hope it is not sliding into retirement...
    Noticed that myself.. Though I still think it's quite useful & does have a great frontend in smplayer. I'd think many users do prefer gui's over cli so for that alone hope it continues on.
    (- I use mpv more here but for gui still on smplayer/mplayer. The only current frontend for mpv, baka-mplayer, still needs a lot of work though is useable

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Great news for Ubuntu
    +1

Beans

When I filed bug on returning (probably would of without report) put up a demo to illustrate no issues ect.
    Rather than get rid of have extended ffmpeg slightly (fuller aac encoding support) & added some examples of sources using.
    (- the current mpv in vivid has to me a questionable recommend of youtube-dl package, left in place for the moment
    The baka frontend to mpv is 0.2 release (have git master packaged in 14.04, will replace this one in near future
    cmus has full ffmpeg support which libav can't currently provide
    https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archi...u/ffmpeg-test1