Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving an insecure person to Linux.

Beans

Re: Moving an insecure person to Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    the only thing still bothering me is the sound. sometimes it just works, sometimes I can get it using a script and sometimes it would just refuse to work. from what I can tell the sound card still has electric charge inside. as I can only hear turning it off after I remove current for 15 secs at least.
    That sounds like a hardware problem, but you still might consider installing plasma-widget-veromix and using it rather than KMix to control your audio setup. It's especially helpful if you have multiple audio outputs like a phono jack and HDMI. After installing the package, open the panel menu by clicking the "cashew" on the right, then click Add Widgets. You'll see an entry for Veromix.

I bought a $10 USB audio device when the phono port on my laptop quit working. Plugged it into a USB port, and Linux recognized it right away. You might consider that alternative as well. BTW, it had considerably more gain than the computer audio system; make sure you turn your speakers down when you first try it out.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 19th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

the output is shown as Dummy output or correct output is shown but sound is not working. sometimes I can get arround this by reloading ALSA. other times I need to turn off the PC unplug electricity and then add power again and then it is recognised.

otherwise it works like 70% of the time (correct card recognised on boot).

it is a software issue, it used to work fine in 14.04 when I installed it. it worked for about 2 months as it should then after certain upgrade it started acting again.

yes I might get an USB or PCI. for now, rebooting is cheaper...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

My wife, on the other hand, ya. Not happening she says.
    This is interesting. About two years ago my wife and I were in Best Buy looking at Apple computers. After looking at the Apple desktop she said she wanted one. Well that wasn't going to fly but I did change her WIN7 a bit by adding Rocket Dock, an app launcher that looks like the Mac dock. Anyway, she has been using that since then. Forward to a month ago. I dual booted her system with Win7 and Ubuntu Gnome with the Cairo dock. After some initial adjustments to suite her needs she was OK with the new system and said it really was faster. The only thing I can't get is a replacement for iTunes so that is the purpose of the Win7 option

Beans

iTunes under WINE has mixed reviews, but maybe you should give that a try.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Kale_Freemon View Post
    Here soon, for me, I'm probably going to push my mother into using Ubuntu primarily. My excuse, I'm tired of every time something gets messed up in her Windows install and then I'm stuck trying to fix it. It'd be so much easier to get her onto Ubuntu 14.04 and breaking her into it and then leaving her alone than to worry about what is going to get broken next.

My wife, on the other hand, ya. Not happening she says. Not a chance, even though she's no better than my mother at breaking her Windows install and leaving me to fix it.
    Sounds like a sure way to make your mother miserable. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

iTunes under WINE has mixed reviews, but maybe you should give that a try.
    Tried that but it was too unreliable. And, it would not be worth the flack I would receive

Beans

When I used to work with adult Apple users, I got them to install a different library organizer and media player on their mac, and do the iTunes exports and conversions there.
    Then they had the option of reverting to iTunes if a blocker is discovered.
    But iTunes was no longer an issue preventing future migration to Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Sounds like a sure way to make your mother miserable. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds.
    If someone is manageing to break a Windows 7/8 install(pretty damn hard to do), they just need to be taught "DONT GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO THAT AD!" and "DONT GO TO WWW.DEFINITELYNOTMALWARE.COM"

Linux won't help people who have no concept of these basics.

If your mother doesn't give a about whatever's ailing her computer, don't fix it. If she does care, tell her how to avoid that stuff in the future.
    Last edited by howefield; November 22nd, 2014 at 06:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12