Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam install on Ubuntu 14.04 what a fuss!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Steam install on Ubuntu 14.04 what a fuss!?

Its more a comment and solution to my recent experience installing steam. I use Ubuntu 14.04 Gnome and have a GeForce GTX 750Ti.

I tried to install Steam over the software store, first why are there 2 icons?? Then I installed steam, it did simply not start... I deinstalled and tried install using the command line.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install steam
    which avoids logging in the ubuntu one account...

still did not work. After checking some forums, seems that first I need to deinstall my NVIDIA driver for my GeForce, install steam and then reinstall the NVIDIA driver. Did that and now it works and launches!

Steam on linux is fantastic, but why make it so difficult to install? Especially, using an NVIDIA graphic card, which should be compatible with linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Steam install on Ubuntu 14.04 what a fuss!?

I remember to use the download from steam working fine but yes lots of apps in synaptic seem outdated. For ex. for Nvidia there were several packages and half was broken some months ago...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

This works:
    Go to http://store.steampowered.com/about/ and download steam_latest.deb.

Then open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    cd (wherever you saved the file)
    sudo dpkg -i steam_latest.deb
    You'll get an error message saying it could not be installed, because of missing dependencies, so, then, type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    This should get you off and running; it is how I install Steam on a new installation, and it works every time for me.

Of course, you can make it all one line, thus:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i steam_latest.deb && sudo apt-get -f install
    Either way will work, of course. Good luck!
    Last edited by oldrocker99; November 18th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As I recall, the need to remove proprietary drivers has been that way for a while. I just had to reinstall 14.04.1 (Samsung SSD firmare update -- don't get me started on that) and remembered that was necessary when I reinstalled Steam.

As for why it's so difficult -- that's on Steam and they are the ones to ask.

Cheers!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hopefully, they will better work together with canonical for better integration. I am not sure everyone is patient to try tweaks for installing steam. Would be nice, especially for newcomers. Anyway, more philosophical than technical...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't think it has anything to do with Canonical.

I install Steam directly from Steam's website.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I install Steam directly from Steam's website.
    Me too - and have had absolutely no problems!
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Do you have an ATI card?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Steam install on Ubuntu 14.04 what a fuss!?

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_34 View Post
    Its more a comment and solution to my recent experience installing steam. I use Ubuntu 14.04 Gnome and have a GeForce GTX 750Ti.

I tried to install Steam over the software store, first why are there 2 icons?? Then I installed steam, it did simply not start... I deinstalled and tried install using the command line.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install steam
    which avoids logging in the ubuntu one account...

still did not work. After checking some forums, seems that first I need to deinstall my NVIDIA driver for my GeForce, install steam and then reinstall the NVIDIA driver. Did that and now it works and launches!

Steam on linux is fantastic, but why make it so difficult to install? Especially, using an NVIDIA graphic card, which should be compatible with linux...

I have had no major problems installing steam from the Software Centrer in Edu Ubuntu 14.04.1. I have notice their are two packages listed for it, one gives you the option to install and the other is blank, not for sure why, that is I am guessing one may had linked to a old version or maybe host that no longer offers it?

I do have the same issue as you, once installed It does not immediately launch, I have notice that I have to reboot the OS after the install for the program to launch, other then that I have found slight glitches with the interface, but nothing to troublesome.
    Last edited by mfilacchione; November 20th, 2014 at 01:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I found it weird that I had to deinstall/install the graphic card, especially that its a common nvidia gaming card if I am not mistaken. it runs now anyways. for me it was not click and play just saying... I am generally not a complainer

If for some the install worked from the steam site without a glitch but not on the software center has this to do with the packaging method? if yes who runs the packaging of the software center, not canonical?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast