Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Find File tool in Lubuntu never stops running

Beans

Re: Find File tool in Lubuntu never stops running

Somewhat off the main point, but what sort of editing of pdf files do you do? Is that the only reason you need Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Somewhat off the main point, but what sort of editing of pdf files do you do? Is that the only reason you need Wine?
    Vasa,

I think it is the only reason I use WINE. I highlight text, add page numbers, add textboxes and commentary. I do not think the Linux version of Foxit Reader works very well, but the Windows version does. I looked into all of this several months ago and came to the conclusion this was really my only option for editing pdf documents. I don't have enough RAM to Virtualbox Windows.

Thanks,

R.

Beans
    Hidden!

Did you try xournal? (You find it in the repositories)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xournal

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

You can still use wine without the symlinks.

You remove the symlinks using winecfg if I remember correctly.

You would only need to remove the dosdevices symlinks.

You should be alright keeping the symlinks to documents, pictures, videos etc as long as there is not a huge number of files in them.

You will still be able to use the windows program you use in wine in Lubuntu

EDIT: or you can delete the symlinks from the command line of course.

Kind regards
    Matt and others,

I am not sure how to remove symlinks. Under WINE in Lubuntu there is a vertical menu that includes "Confiure Wine" and in Configure Wine there is a Drives tab. It is easy to remove drives, but the C drive cannot be removed and the path to the C drive does not appear to be changeable either. I removed all drives except for C and the Find Files tool still runs a very long time in the home folder.

There is a quote beneath my name below from under "4.1.4. Drive Settings" on the page at this link https://www.winehq.org/site/docs/win...nfig-wine-main that MAY be relevant.

QUESTION: Any comments on how to remove symlinks?

Thanks,

R.

Quote:

"You may be interested in configuring your drive settings outside of winecfg, in which case you're in luck because it's quite easy. All of the drive settings reside in a special directory: ~/.wine/dosdevices. Each "drive" is simply a link to where it actually resides. Wine automatically sets up two drives the first time you run Wine:

$ ls -la ~/.wine/dosdevices/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 wineuser wineuser 10 Jul 23 15:12 c: -> ../drive_c
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 wineuser wineuser 1 Jul 23 15:12 z: -> /"
    Last edited by AbleTassie; November 21st, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post
    Vasa,

I think it is the only reason I use WINE. I highlight text, add page numbers, add textboxes and commentary. ...
    I forgot to ask ... do you then have to pass these pdf files to anyone else? I'm asking because at least highlighting or annotation seem to be dependent on the pdf reader/editor. Doing something successfully with one Linux pdf reader/editor may not mean that all what you've done can be passed around to people who may use other readers.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post

Code:
    Thanks Sudodus,

I'll try it.

R.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I forgot to ask ... do you then have to pass these pdf files to anyone else? I'm asking because at least highlighting or annotation seem to be dependent on the pdf reader/editor. Doing something successfully with one Linux pdf reader/editor may not mean that all what you've done can be passed around to people who may use other readers.
    Vasa,

There is some difference in highlighting when reading with my own pdf Evince Document Viewer: the side edges of the highlighting bulges out. But this does not appear to happen when the documents are submitted and appear online. I don't think there are any other differences I know of.

Thanks,

R.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post

Code:
    Thanks Sudodus. I tried xournal. it is OK, but based on trying it briefly, I am pretty confident that it really is not as good or versatile or powerful as Foxit Reader. I wish it was, it would have been a pleasent surprise if it was. On the other hand it can do some highlighting and has a typewriter type function.

Thanks,

R.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

It's been a very long time since I have used wine so I will place a ceavet that I am remembering correctly.

If you start Foxit pro as a stand alone app you'll be able to "open/save dialog" to the places that are symlinked. The documents/my documents folder would be the most useful for you here.

If you right click on a pdf and open it in wine, it should open and you should be able to save it by selecting the save option. Selecting the save as option will limit you to locations that are symlinked in wine.

If anybody else knows different then please speak up. If the above is wrong then I apologise.

Anyway, what you can do is remove the symlinks one by one and test the behaviour in between. That won't take too long. They are easy to reenter.

kind regards
    Matt or others,

How do I remove a symlink in WINE? I am not sure how to do this.

Thanks,

R.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

You should be able to use winecfg to delete the symlinks. You may have to install it.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast