Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Find File tool in Lubuntu never stops running

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Find File tool in Lubuntu never stops running

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    In a way, I think PCManFM is slow searching places where there is a large number of different files and substructures.
    Here is a search on my root file system that is taking ages to complete :
    Code:
    search:///?recursive=1&show_hidden=0&name=km_mile*&name_ci=1
    Searching for files that start with "km_mile", I know I have one in my /home, there are no symbolic link. The search has currently been going on for 15 mins, is hogging my cpu and memory (this is a poor old laptop..).
    If I run the exact same search in my /home (the file is one level below in another file), the hit is immediate.
    Thanks Bapoumba, Matt and Sudodus,

I think maybe you are all correct in some way about this problem. My laptop is old too and I think PCManFM is slow and I think it may eventually stop searching after a long time, even when searching in a high level folder. In fact I think I observed this recently. On the hand, since there was only one copy of the sought document (or file), FindFileTester, why would the file keep showing up repeatedly as it does?

I searched for symbolic links with the command that Matt gave and I got the results below, which may explain the behaviour:

name@name:~$ find ~ -type l
    /home/name/.mozilla/firefox/z37wz69t.default-1410575131272/lock
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/d::
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/e:
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/f::
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/e::
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/z:
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/c:
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/My Documents
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/My Videos
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/My Pictures
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/My Music
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/Desktop
    name@name:~$

Thanks,

R.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post
    Thanks Bapoumba, Matt and Sudodus,

I think maybe you are all correct in some way about this problem. My laptop is old too and I think PCManFM is slow and I think it may eventually stop searching after a long time, even when searching in a high level folder. In fact I think I observed this recently. On the hand, since there was only one copy of the sought document (or file), FindFileTester, why would the file keep showing up repeatedly as it does?

I searched for symbolic links with the command that Matt gave and I got the results below, which may explain the behaviour:

name@name:~$ find ~ -type l
    /home/name/.mozilla/firefox/z37wz69t.default-1410575131272/lock
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/d::
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/e:
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/f::
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/e::
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/z:
    /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/c:
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/My Documents
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/My Videos
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/My Pictures
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/My Music
    /home/name/.wine/drive_c/users/name/Desktop
    name@name:~$

Thanks,

R.
    That's a number of wine symbolic links you have there.

I can almost guarantee that they are the problem especially, I expect, the symlinks in the "dosdevices" directory.

If I remember correctly, they point to your root folder and other hard drives and such like. That can be a huge number of files to search and you only need one symbolic link loop.....

So you can either remove the links in wine (the may be a good idea from a security and malware point of view anyway) or you can make sure you don't follow symbolic links when you are searching.

What would you like to do ?

EDIT: to double check can you post the output of this command into your next post

Code:
    ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/*
    Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; November 18th, 2014 at 12:45 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

That's a number of wine symbolic links you have there.

I can almost guarantee that they are the problem especially, I expect, the symlinks in the "dosdevices" directory.

If I remember correctly, they point to your root folder and other hard drives and such like. That can be a huge number of files to search and you only need one symbolic link loop.....

So you can either remove the links in wine (the may be a good idea from a security and malware point of view anyway) or you can make sure you don't follow symbolic links when you are searching.

What would you like to do ?

EDIT: to double check can you post the output of this command into your next post

Code:
    ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/*
    Kind regards
    I need WINE to use a program that I cannot get to run in Linux/Lubuntu. So I am not sure what to do in that regard, although since I am dual booting Lubuntu and Windows XP, I could uninstall WINE and just use the program on the Windows side, when needed. I suppose I could also just have the unistalled version of WINE on hand and just install it on the Lubuntu side when needed and then unistall it as well.

The output from the command above is:

name@name:~$ ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 name name 10 Aug 14 16:32 /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/c: -> ../drive_c
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 name name 8 Aug 14 16:43 /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/d:: -> /dev/sr0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 name name 27 Nov 15 19:03 /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/e: -> /media/name/FreeAgent Drive
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 name name 9 Aug 15 19:46 /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/e:: -> /dev/sdb1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 name name 8 Aug 15 19:46 /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/f:: -> /dev/sdb
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 name name 1 Aug 14 16:32 /home/name/.wine/dosdevices/z: -> /

Thanks,

R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; November 18th, 2014 at 01:49 AM. Reason: update & typo

Beans
    Distro

Hi

You can still use wine without the symlinks.

You remove the symlinks using winecfg if I remember correctly.

You would only need to remove the dosdevices symlinks.

You should be alright keeping the symlinks to documents, pictures, videos etc as long as there is not a huge number of files in them.

You will still be able to use the windows program you use in wine in Lubuntu

EDIT: or you can delete the symlinks from the command line of course.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; November 18th, 2014 at 02:37 AM.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hi

You can still use wine without the symlinks.

You remove the symlinks using winecfg if I remember correctly.

You would only need to remove the dosdevices symlinks.

You should be alright keeping the symlinks to documents, pictures, videos etc as long as there is not a huge number of files in them.

You will still be able to use the windows program you use in wine in Lubuntu

EDIT: or you can delete the symlinks from the command line of course.

Kind regards
    Thanks Matt,

QUESTION: if I remove the symlinks as you are saying, what effect would that have on using the program that requires WINE? The page at https://www.winehq.org/site/docs/win...nfig-wine-main seems relevant to what you are saying. An excerpt from that page is below.

Thanks, R.

4.1.4. Drive Settings

Windows requires a fairly rigid drive configuration that Wine imitates. Most people are familiar with the standard notation of the A: drive representing the floppy disk, the C: drive representing the primary system disk, etc. Wine uses the same concept and maps those drives to the underlying native filesystem.
    Wine drive configuration is relatively simple. In winecfg under the Drives tab you'll see buttons to add and remove available drives. When you choose to add a drive, a new entry will be made and a default drive mapping will appear. You can change where this drive points to by changing what's in the Path: box. If you're unsure of the exact path you can choose Browse to search for it. Removing a drive is as easy as selecting the drive and clicking Remove.
    winecfg has the ability to automatically detect the drives available on your system. It's recommended you try this before attempting to configure drives manually. Simply click on the Autodetect button to have Wine search for drives on your system.
    You may be interested in configuring your drive settings outside of winecfg, in which case you're in luck because it's quite easy. All of the drive settings reside in a special directory: ~/.wine/dosdevices. Each "drive" is simply a link to where it actually resides. Wine automatically sets up two drives the first time you run Wine:
    $ ls -la ~/.wine/dosdevices/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 wineuser wineuser 10 Jul 23 15:12 c: -> ../drive_c
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 wineuser wineuser 1 Jul 23 15:12 z: -> /
    To add another drive, for example your CD-ROM, just create a new link pointing to it:
    $ ln -s /mnt/cdrom ~/.wine/dosdevices/d: Take note of the DOS-style naming convention used for links - the format is a letter followed by a colon, such as a:. So, if the link to your c: drive points to ~/.wine/drive_c, you can interpret references to c:\windows\system32 to mean ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

QUESTION: if I remove the symlinks as you are saying, what effect would that have on using the program that requires WINE?
    Basically it will restrict where the program running under wine can access.

Most programs running under wine don't need access to the root partition of your hard drive.
    Many also don't need access to any external drives you may have.
    Many can get away without access to the pseudo c drive as well.

You can also add the symlinks back easily enough using winecfg if you get into issues especially as it's only one windows application you use under wine.

I don't know what the program you are running under wine is, so it's hard to be more precise.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; November 18th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hi

Basically it will restrict where the program running under wine can access.

Most programs running under wine don't need access to the root partition of your hard drive.
    Many also don't need access to any external drives you may have.
    Many can get away without access to the pseudo c drive as well.

You can also add the symlinks back easily enough using winecfg if you get into issues especially as it's only one windows application you use under wine.

I don't know what the program you are running under wine is, so it's hard to be more precise.

Kind regards
    Thanks Matt,

I occasionally use the Windows version of Foxit pdf reader with WINE to edit pdf documents. So it appears that if I delete the symlinks to various drives, Foxit Reader/WINE might be unable to find the drives. So perhaps the use of Foxit Reader might be restricted. For example, maybe I could not open a document by right clicking the document and asking that the document be opened using the Reader. Perhaps I'd have to use the open function in the Reader to open the document, or vice versa.

QUESTION: Any comments?

Thanks,

R.

Beans

I'd just add that your options to "find" are relatively limited when you use the file manager. If you don't mind using the terminal you can set up all sorts of conditions to give your find command focus. And you can have several different find commands, assign aliases to them and then just have to type in a couple of keys to get your work done. For example, I have an alias called 5m which tells me what's changed in the last five minutes (and excludes certain folders such as caches):
    Code:
    alias 5m='find ~/ ! -path "*mozilla*" ! -path "*google-chrome*" ! -path "*cache*" ! -path "*dropbox*" -mmin -5 -type f -ls'

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Thanks Matt,

I occasionally use the Windows version of Foxit pdf reader with WINE to edit pdf documents. So it appears that if I delete the symlinks to various drives, Foxit Reader/WINE might be unable to find the drives. So perhaps the use of Foxit Reader might be restricted. For example, maybe I could not open a document by right clicking the document and asking that the document be opened using the Reader. Perhaps I'd have to use the open function in the Reader to open the document, or vice versa.

Thanks,

R.
    It's been a very long time since I have used wine so I will place a ceavet that I am remembering correctly.

If you start Foxit pro as a stand alone app you'll be able to "open/save dialog" to the places that are symlinked. The documents/my documents folder would be the most useful for you here.

If you right click on a pdf and open it in wine, it should open and you should be able to save it by selecting the save option. Selecting the save as option will limit you to locations that are symlinked in wine.

If anybody else knows different then please speak up. If the above is wrong then I apologise.

Anyway, what you can do is remove the symlinks one by one and test the behaviour in between. That won't take too long. They are easy to reenter.

kind regards

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

OK Matt, I will attempt tp give this a try and let you know the results. But it may take a few days to a week given my time constraints.

Thanks again Matt and others: Sudodus, Vasa, Bapoumba.

R.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast