Thread: 'couldn't find matching udev device' when connecting HTC One S?

Beans

Question 'couldn't find matching udev device' when connecting HTC One S?

When I connect my HTC One S phone. I get this error message
    Code:
    couldn't find matching udev device
    I installed fastboot and adb with seemingly no issues. Please tell me how to fix. Only just switched to linux though so be gentle. I have 14.04.1 Long term support version installed. Thanks.

Beans

Re: have to create udev rules, how please?

Hi, I have found out that I have to create udev rules for android. Been following this post,
    HTML Code:
    http://blog.mpshouse.com/?p=609
    but when I try to edit the fuse line I get the following output.

Code:
    lucy@lucy-N150P:~$ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
    [sudo] password for lucy: 
    lucy@lucy-N150P:~$ sudo gedit /etc/fuse.conf

(gedit:3384): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(gedit:3384): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    lucy@lucy-N150P:~$ sudo gedit /etc/group

(gedit:3411): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

(gedit:3411): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
    lucy@lucy-N150P:~$ udo mkdir /mnt/a501
    Error:  0: couldn't open source file </mnt/a501.ui>
    /mnt/a501.ui: No such file or directory
    lucy@lucy-N150P:~$
    Advice appreciated, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 'couldn't find matching udev device' when connecting HTC One S?

Why use gedit?? Is gedit even installed in Lubuntu? You can clearly use nano for this:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
    You'll be presented with a blank screen. Then just copy and paste what it need in there. (use right click>paste when pasting)
    Ctrl+O to save.
    Ctrl+X to exit.

Same thing with the fuse.conf
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/fuse.conf
    What instruction from your link is not clear to you? Maybe we can help clarify it. It seems straightforward to me.

Beans

Thanks for helping nerdtron,

Didn't know about nano before the gedit post of earlier and I'd downloaded gedit already.

The file fuse.conf needs to be modified, uncomment the line user_allow_other. The file can be edited with the following command:
    This means just deleting the # at the start of the line right? That's what I did and worked through the guide until I reached mounting.

Mounting
    The mount point can be added to fstab but I have created a small script to mount the drive and display the directory. If you are not using nautilus you need to change that line and if the mount point is not going to be /mnt/a501, that needs to be changed as well.

#!/bin/bash
    gksu -S --message "Enter your password to mount your Android device." "mount mtpfs /mnt/a501 -t fuse -o user,noauto,allow_other"
    nautilus /mnt/a501/
    Does this mean I can just use this in terminal or do I need to create a script myself, how? How do I know if I'm using nautilus or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This means just deleting the # at the start of the line right? That's what I did and worked through the guide until I reached mounting.
    Yes. Correct.
    Does this mean I can just use this in terminal or do I need to create a script myself, how?
    You don't have to create a script. Just run the command in the terminal to mount the device, I don't think you need the message either. So:
    Code:
    sudo mount mtpfs /mnt/a501 -t fuse -o user,noauto,allow_other
    How do I know if I'm using nautilus or not?
    Lubuntu doesn't use nautilus file manager.
    After the mounting command, assuming it is successful, you just Open your file manager and go to /mnt/a501 to see your android device.

Beans

Well my phone is picked up but it can't connect.

Code:
    lucy@lucy-N150P:~$ sudo chown lucy:lucy /mnt/a501
    [sudo] password for lucy: 
    lucy@lucy-N150P:~$ sudo mount mtpfs /mnt/a501 -t fuse -o user,noauto,allow_otherUnable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.Listing raw device(s)
    Device 0 (VID=0bb4 and PID=0df9) is a HTC HTC One S (ID2).
       Found 1 device(s):
       HTC: HTC One S (ID2) (0bb4:0df9) @ bus 1, dev 5
    Attempting to connect device
    ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
    LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
    Any ideas? Appreciate the time your spending on this.

Edit: plugging my cable into another usb port device shows up as two phone shaped 'mpt' rather than two 'android' I can see my files and fastboot recognises my phone with no errors. However I still get the
    couldn't find matching udev device
    When first plugging in and phone is not listed in devices.
    Last edited by lucy3; November 18th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.