Thread: Repeatedly logged out of Ubuntu Forums w/o reason

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Repeatedly logged out of Ubuntu Forums w/o reason

@ elias13, just to add:

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I have to admit that I have hitherto assumed that it is a security feature of vbulletin that causes one to be logged out when the public IP changes. It is a reasonable assumption, but it could be a very wrong one. Do you have an account on any other forum that uses vbulletin software? It is one of the most popular forum platforms. If you do, can I trouble you to try this out on another forum to see whether this is indeed a vbulletin feature or peculiar to this forum.
    I've made a quick test myself. I logged into another forum which also uses vbulletin. I then changed IP by connecting to the other ISP and found that I had been logged out. I also tried this with an account at a forum using the phpBB forum software. Same story - as soon as I changed IP I was logged out.

Although it would be sensible to test further with other forums, this suggests that this probably is a feature of most if not all forums and, if so, there may be nothing that can be done. Nevertheless, see what your IT people's response is - they may have a solution.
    Last edited by coffeecat; November 13th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Repeatedly logged out of Ubuntu Forums w/o reason

Thanks for the info coffeecat, I did not know that.

elias13, would you happen to have another internet access point ? Home, a smartphone (not on your school wifi), an internet shop (please do not store your passwords on public computers and clear cache/cookies before you close your session) ? Do you see the same behavior ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12