Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 suspend issues

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Ubuntu 12.04 suspend issues

When Ubuntu god into suspend esp when I close the lid. I get a blank screen then the color fades. Sometime I get the option to login, but when I do the touchpad freezes. Other times I need to reboot my PowerBook. I followed the instructions in this thread but it has not helped http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2112830

Anyone else run into this issue?
    iBook G4 1.42GHz Ubuntu-MATE 15.04
    PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz Debian Wheezy

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 suspend issues

Quote Originally Posted by reinhard-boris View Post
    Thx guys!

On the suspend issues, I understand there are various longer standing bug reports on it, I haven't really looked into it yet but it's bound to come up some time. My understanding was suspend/ sleep won't work at the moment as it's relying on older framebuffers and the functions are not implemented in KMS (yet or potentially ever?).

To me personally it's not much of an issue, as shutting down and when needed booting up is not that time consuming, so if you disable sleep and suspend as a workaround and get used to shutting down and booting up normally it's really not that much of a hassle and you won't run into issues for now.
    @RB:

I'm moving this answer over to this thread, even though it says "12.04" . . . wherein I didn't have problems with "suspend" . . . but, do in 14.04 . . . . So, from what you are saying, "there is no suspend" . . . but, seems like there was not that long ago. But, here again is the old adage, one man's food is another's poison . . . because for me having to hard boot each time I'd want to check emails or something . . . or just leave the computer running all day . . . is not something that I consider as "OK" . . . whereas, I don't listen to music or much video on the computer . . . not having sound is something I can "work around" . . . . : - )

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

so basically there is no suspend or sleep?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rican-linux View Post
    so basically there is no suspend or sleep?
    That may be the sage wisdom . . . path of least resistance and effort . . . . But, like I said, I did have working suspend in my iBook in 12.04, so perhaps recent updates to the kernel have changed that . . . and that would render the idea of rolling back to 12.04 for suspend somewhat moot . . . .

But BR has some skilz and doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would say something like "there is no suspend" for humorous effect . . . . I used to think it had something to do with needing a certain amount of RAM for the system to "suspend" into . . . and perhaps that requirement has grown larger than my 640ish MB of RAM? Sometimes there are things to do to overcome a problem . . . but sometimes the amount of time and effort required don't pan out in cost/benefit review . . . . We'll see if anyone else stops by and offers some tips on reviving and/or entering the mystical state of "suspend."

e.e.p.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have 2GB of RAM on my PowerBook so I cannot believe it is a RAM problem.

Beans

I have 2GB of RAM on my PowerBook so I cannot believe it is a RAM problem.
    @rican:

Hence my use of the word "I used to think" . . . so, agreed 2 GB of RAM should be plenty. But, over on the "sound" thread I just posted that I was/am booted up in a Xubuntu 12.04 CD . . . and, even in the "live" system I was able to go into and then 20 mins later "wake from suspend" in it . . . . So, one possiblity for you might be to try Xubuntu 12.04 and see if suspend works for you with it; as I mentioned "suspend" is one of those "mission critical" features for me . . . sound, less so.

So this iso was from around 3/6/13 I believe, so the question is whether update/upgrades in kernels would eliminate the working "suspend" feature . . . possibly it would . . . . There are a few less bells and whistles in 12.04 compared to 14.04 . . . a little less eye flash, but if the suspend thing languishes in "non-critical" bug report land . . . I may try an re-install of this Xubuntu 12.04 for ppc. XFCE is "lighter" on the system, but has enough power to get the basic tasks handled . . . . Of course there are always "issues" with any system . . . always an element of compromise . . . but might work for you?

e.e.p.

[Edit: PS, after I posted this I think that at the time rsavage said he had "tweaked his iso so that suspend works" . . . so, today I don't know enough to understand how he did that, if he even did or said that so many months ago; but possibility is that my advice about xubuntu 12.04 having working suspend function may be . . . "bogus" . . . or "incorrect" . . . or "wrong" . . . or, remote possibility it might be "right" . . . "correct" . . . "not bogus" . . . .

Probably the best that we can do is to try to find a similar bug on launchpad and add our tale of suspend woe there and hope that somebody listens and makes some adjustment so that suspend will be brought back for PPC users . . . .]
    Last edited by este.el.paz; November 12th, 2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: added the PS section

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I am thinking about going back to Xubuntu. Suspend not working is pretty much a show stopper for me as well.

Beans

I am thinking about going back to Xubuntu. Suspend not working is pretty much a show stopper for me as well.
    @r-l:

So you had suspend in xubuntu before? Hopefully you read my caveat/edit about not sure if xubuntu as available now would offer suspend.

But, I did a google search on "suspend 14.04 ppc" . . . and interestingly the bug report I filed on it came up (forgot about it due to inactivity) . . . it might not be exactly your issue, but, if it relates to suspend you might add your issue there as well . . . so far it's just been me . . . doesn't get too high up on the radar with the devs with just one sufferer . . . .

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1366624

e.e.p.

Edit: You can always reboot back into OSX for the "sleep" function . . . it's a bit of a pain, but sometimes linux offers some features that OSX doesn't, so even if rolling to xubuntu doesn't get you back into suspend, having the system installed might offer variety . . . .
    Last edited by este.el.paz; November 12th, 2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: + comment

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Xubuntu had suspend working. there were other issues with that distro but all of those were fix able. i am probable going to save some scripts I have and change back.

Beans

Xubuntu had suspend working. there were other issues with that distro but all of those were fix able. i am probable going to save some scripts I have and change back.
    @r-l:

Well, whatever you decide, it's still 'buntu/debian at heart . . . . If you have time check into that bug report, that's what actually gets things done . . . posting here does not work its way to the devs.

However, I'm thinking about trying to add XFCE DE to my 14.04 system and see if **maybe** that might bring suspend back. Xubuntu 14 is no longer supporting PPC, but, in 12.04 I had XFCE & LXDE desktop environments loaded and switched back and forth through the lightdm log in window. ****Possibly*** that might work for you, since you are in 12.04 already, it might be easier to just add "xfce4" (something like that) in the terminal, or use synaptic to install it . . . and test it out . . . . That way you wouldn't have to "save scripts" from Ubuntu, you could log in and out of it . . . ????

I'm going to give it a try for 14.04 Lu and see what happens with suspend . . . probably not today . . . but, couple days.

e.e.p.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast