Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Exclamation #DefendGNOME

Hi everyone,

This is serious and this is not fun at all. Kindly read:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foun.../msg00015.html

and

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/002460.html

This thread to spread the word of this cause. What happened with GNOME could happen to any FLOSS Project and we should NOT remain silent at all. It is time to show our appreciation to the projects that have changed our lives. It is time to donate our time (and money if we could) for these projects. If you don't like GNOME, you surely do like FLOSS World, otherwise you won't be here reading this.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: #DefendGNOME

Hi,

I have just created this banner to spread the word.

DefendGNOME.png

Feel Free to use it if you have: Google+, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Beans

Might work, might not: See Apple Corps v. Apple Computers and the legal concept of confusing similarity.

Were they on the jury, I don't think my rather non-technical parents would be confused by the difference.
    Perhaps Gnome can try to license out the name to Groupon for a moderate reimbursement....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Thanks amjjawad. I'm going to post that on my social accounts right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is time to move on to better things.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

a "Fail!" in the making. Gnome is a generic name. they do not use the same logo and they used the same generic name. how a generic name can be a brand in USA is another matter. from my point of view it is ridiculous. and might be difficult to prove of any infringement on court.

in my country it is not allowed to use generic names. if you do then it is your own problem. you can't protect that name, though you can protect the logo.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just remember this the next time that Canonical seeks to protect its trademarks.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't buy the victimization aspect -- GroupOn out to sabotage the Gnome Foundation. I wouldn't be surprised to learn their lawyers were aware of the existing trademark but believed the Gnome Foundation lacked the resources or incentive to defend it.

But, the Gnome folks do have a registered trademark. They're doing what they need to do to protect it by taking legal action. OTOH, 'gnome' is reasonably generic, while the logo and artwork obviously are not. Groupon's use of 'gnome' in reference to a software product does mean their use of the word could confuse consumers. The court will decide.

Beans

A whip around seems inappropriate, a certain mono-billion revenue company that uses Gnome by default will pony up if required with $80K - remind me, what do gnomes wear on their head again ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Just remember this the next time that Canonical seeks to protect its trademarks.
    Indeed.
    It could happen to anyone, any project or any company. I just can't believe how a so called billions dollar company do NOT check that before actually using someone else trademark? a 2 seconds google search will give them what they need.

On the other hand, it is bothering me A LOT that GNOME has to spend 80,000 USD for that cause? why? this is unfair IMHO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast