Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #DefendGNOME

Beans

Re: #DefendGNOME

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    It could happen to anyone, any project or any company.
    Or any mythical, magical, earth-dwelling, small humanoid creature.
    Or any silly garden statue.

Latest news is that Groupon seems to back down on the name: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ome-trademark/
    Gnome project wins.
    We can all calm down now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Latest News:
    https://www.gnome.org/news/2014/11/g...-product-name/

There is a reason why I live by this motto: "All of us are smarter than anyone of us".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So does this mean that 87k+ will be used to improve gnome?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    So does this mean that 87k+ will be used to improve gnome?
    If we are able to defend the mark without spending this amount, we will use the remaining funds to bolster and improve GNOME.
    Source:
    http://gnome.org/groupon/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    On the other hand, it is bothering me A LOT that GNOME has to spend 80,000 USD for that cause? why? this is unfair IMHO.
    Trademark lawyers don't come free. Groupon pays their lawyers, too.

We don't, and won't, know the details of this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Trademark lawyers don't come free. Groupon pays their lawyers, too.

We don't, and won't, know the details of this.
    My point is: if Groupon paid attention on the first place, all this could have been avoided

Beans

I think you are assuming Groupon was somehow negligent and didn't do their research.

I don't think that's a valid assumption.

I suspect Groupon knew that 'Gnome' had other meanings, other uses, and was a registered trademark for a Linux-based desktop environment.
    I suspect that Groupon decided that their Gnome was different enough to not infringe...or used it as a publicity stunt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    I think you are assuming Groupon was somehow negligent and didn't do their research.

I don't think that's a valid assumption.

I suspect Groupon knew that 'Gnome' had other meanings, other uses, and was a registered trademark for a Linux-based desktop environment.
    I suspect that Groupon decided that their Gnome was different enough to not infringe...or used it as a publicity stunt.
    Yes. On the surface, it looks like they thought that distinction was real enough that they and the Gnome Foundation could reach an accomodation. Or that they could leverage a deal. (Can you license a trademark? For a fee?)

Arguing that this was a pointed attack on open source, as some seem to have done, is way over the top. Trademark disputes aren't unusual.

I ran a search for 'Gnome' on Amazon. Almost 25,000 hits, most of them chubby little munchkins with funny hats or books about them. No software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What I found interesting is this:

As noted earlier, a Groupon spokesperson told Ars that the company is willing to compromise. “Groupon is a strong and consistent supporter of the open source community, and our developers are active contributors to a number of open source projects,” Groupon said. “We’ve been communicating with the Foundation for months to try to come to a mutually satisfactory resolution, including alternative branding options, and we’re happy to continue those conversations. Our relationship with the open source community is more important to us than a product name. And if we can't come up with a mutually acceptable solution, we'll be glad to look for another name.”
    If their developers support open source so heavily how come discussion with them didn't bring GNOME to the forefront and they still decided to go for it. Especially when GNOME is one of the most popular open source project of al time.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I personally think it is publicity stunt pulled by groupon to get noticed for their new offering especially in the eyes of open source community so they could get more developers working towards it, in the near future..Nothing wrong with it, their marketing team does seem to pull the usual trick in the book.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast