Thread: My gnome-3 experience

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: My gnome-3 experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    nearly 56
    I'm older than You. And, even so, I like SystemD very much for making much things more easier to handle and even faster. I might be wrong, but that is my honest opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I'm older than You. And, even so, I like SystemD very much for making much things more easier to handle and even faster. I might be wrong, but that is my honest opinion.
    I'll have to give Systemd more of chance starting tomorrow. Today I spent at least 4 hours in Gnome via Upstart so we'll see if Systemd can do that and more tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Forgot to mention does any one know when the 3.18 kernel will come through in regular updates? I'm still running the kernel that Utopic has.
    And just say no to kernel ppas or building your own too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That was weird! I booted Gnome using Systemd and got a few updates, I didn't think I should worry about any of them.
    Then while in the midst or after the update it said I could choose low graphics mode or tty, etc.
    I chose low graphics mode and it went no where. I rebooted and chose upstart first choosing default gnome session.
    There didn't seem to be a problem there so I logged out and logged back into flashback with compiz and it came up just fine.
    I did notice one update to indicator-power:

Code:
    indicator-power (12.10.6+15.04.20141203-0ubuntu1) vivid; urgency=low

[ Charles Kerr ]
      * Show the phone menu in the phone greeter.

[ Christopher Lee ]
      * Fix some minor typos in power testing xml file.

-- Ubuntu daily release <ps-jenkins@lists.canonical.com>  Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:26:04 +0000
    What's the deal with phone menu? This aint no phone it's a PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

That was weird! I booted Gnome using Systemd and got a few updates, I didn't think I should worry about any of them.
    Then while in the midst or after the update it said I could choose low graphics mode or tty, etc.
    I chose low graphics mode and it went no where. I rebooted and chose upstart first choosing default gnome session.
    There didn't seem to be a problem there so I logged out and logged back into flashback with compiz and it came up just fine.

Code:

[ Charles Kerr ]

[ Christopher Lee ]

-- Ubuntu daily release <ps-jenkins@lists.canonical.com>  Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:26:04 +0000

If you decide to install unity8mir(next) those packages will be there to handle it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post

Code:

[ Charles Kerr ]

[ Christopher Lee ]

If you decide to install unity8mir(next) those packages will be there to handle it.
    Phone menu in phone greeter? Not really a fan of unity so I doubt if I go that route. I like flashback and I'm sticking to it.

Beans
    Distro

Phone menu in phone greeter? Not really a fan of unity so I doubt if I go that route. I like flashback and I'm sticking to it.
    Convergence may not be so kind to gnome flashback. We have to test the other options in the arsenal of DEs.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Forgot to mention does any one know when the 3.18 kernel will come through in regular updates? I'm still running the kernel that Utopic has.
    And just say no to kernel ppas or building your own too.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTg1ODg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Convergence may not be so kind to gnome flashback. We have to test the other options in the arsenal of DEs.

Regards..
    If convergence kills gnome flashback that will be bad. I'm doing all I can at present. I had to do stuff in windows until 2pm today and I only cried for like 20 minutes.

Regards

Thanks for that zika!

So, like I think it was you who said this: when the 3.18 or later kernels come through in regular updates they will replace the ones we've installed right?
    If they are a higher version number it would have to I guess.

Beans
    Distro

I installed the gnome 3.14 core ppa and now I am getting some bugs (as reported in other thread). So just making a note that this install is no longer fresh ,clean install.

Regards..

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast