Thread: adb commands work only with ./adb

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

adb commands work only with ./adb

So i had to re-install adb, thought that since i had installed once i wouldn't have any problems.... well half-way i stumbled upon problem.
    The phone is checked at the usb-debugging and even checked in the unknown sources(under application setings).
    Since i have 12.04 32 bit i didn't installed ia32-libs. oracle java 7 is installed.
    I've downloaded adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702.

The main problem is the following: until now adb commands works under one condition only.
    I have to cd in the terminal to the platform-tools folder and then to use ./adb. If simply adb will be used i will get command not found...
    As far as i know when "." is used in front of a file then that file is hidden... why did that happened?

For my PATH variable i used:
    Code:
    nano ~/.bashrc
    and at the end of the file i typed:
    Code:
    #AndroidDev PATH
    export PATH=${PATH}/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/tools
    export PATH=${PATH}/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/platform-tools
    that ~/.bashrc file is saved in /home/haris/.bashrc

Now my declaration of the udev rules works correctly but only declared 1 device.

By the way my second and last question: How is it possible to make udev rules for random devices, so that you won't have to every time to use the vendors id and product id and make a specific udev rule for each and every device that you'll plug-in

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: adb commands work only with ./adb

./adb - the dot-slash (./) means "on this folder, the file adb" which will run the script (if it is a script/program)
    .adb - a file with a dot at the start is a hidden file.

Back to the problem, your export command seems to have a typo, the default paths (and additional ones) are separated by a colon:
    Code:
    kenneth@nerdtron:~$ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
    So if you need to add a custom path to the PATH variable you need to:
    Code:
    export PATH=YOUR_PATH_WITHOUT_TRAILING_SLASH:$PATH
    Reboot to reset you current changes so far, then try adding custom path again. To verify if your path is added, just use the echo command that I used above.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

About the trailing slash, you mean the "android_dev_tools"???
    Also your echo $PATH code confused me a bit...

Look:
    i)Open the terminal inside platform-tools folder:
    Code:
    haris@Mini-210:~/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/platform-tools$ echo $PATH
    /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/tools/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/platform-tools
    ii)open terminal inside tools folder:
    Code:
    haris@Mini-210:~/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/tools$ echo $PATH
    /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/tools/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/platform-tools
    although the paths should show 2 different destinations, it shows the same... what???

However if open the terminal in the sdk folder and use readlink:
    Code:
    haris@Mini-210:~/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk$ readlink -f tools
    /home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/tools
    haris@Mini-210:~/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk$ readlink -f platform-tools
    /home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/platform-tools
    P.S. or by trailing slash you mean the "/" sign?

Beans
    Distro

trailing slash you mean the "/" sign?
    Yes.

Your current "echo $PATH" is wrong. There should be a colon ( : )between the
    /usr/games folder and the /home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/tools/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/platform-tools

Look carefully on the separation of paths.
    Last edited by nerdtron; November 8th, 2014 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok i managed to do it! Thank you for the help!
    I put the colon ( : ) between usr/games folder and the other 2 corresponding folders and it worked.
    However it makes me wonder:
    Code:
    haris@Mini-210:~$ echo $PATH
    /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/platform-tools
    Now it showed the colon ( : ) at the proper place, but why did it showed the specific path and not the path to my user folder or something?

Beans
    Distro

Because of your wrong export command with no colons.
    Code:
    #AndroidDev PATH
    export PATH=${PATH}/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/tools
    export PATH=${PATH}/home/haris/android_dev_tools/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20140702/sdk/platform-tools
    Those line basically means combine the current PATH and add the path you specified, but since you did not specify any colon as a form of separation, it just assumed that it is a valid path the you declared. It won't bother to check so your custom path will just be appended on the last entry which will have a discrepancy on the final output.