Thread: Strange behavior in regard to USB ports.

Beans

Strange behavior in regard to USB ports.

To keep it concise, I'm dual booting my pc win7/ubuntu 14.04.1. (64 bit) I burned the iso to a disk and threw it in my external disk drive, when plugged in to a USB 2.0 port, I get a black screen error that says something like "Unable to find bootable media". Its a ubuntu error page, so it's not the disk. When I plug it in to a USB 3.0 port though, the setup begins as it should, **but** my mouse/keyboard plugged in to 2.0 ports aren't recognized (plugging them in to 3.0's fixes that issue). So for some reason, ubuntu only accepts input via USB 3.0 ports. I previously had a 32 bit version installed(where 2.0's worked fine) that I had settled for because I was having the "no bootable media" error when trying 64 bit install. I wanted to uninstall it and try again though, because it wasnt working properly (was unable to install programs like chrome) I think that may have been related to the 32/64 issue. The issue I have with keeping everything in a USB 3.0 port is that win7 doesnt recognize my peripherals in 3.0's and I don't want to swap constantly.

tl;dr: Ubuntu only accepting USB 3.0 input, I cant keep it like that because my win7 doesn't recognize the 3.0's so i'd have to swap based on OS.

Ive never had an issue like this, very strange. Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Strange behavior in regard to USB ports.

Hi

What USB options are set in the BIOS on your PC ?

List all of them in your next post. That may give a lead to the problem.

Kind regards