Thread: HP Laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up HP Laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed!

HP’s latest notebook saves money by ditching Windows for Ubuntu. Is your next notebook Open Source?

Read more: http://www.itpro.co.uk/laptops/23412...#ixzz3I7hnosSd

hp_ubuntu_laptop.jpg

HP is offering a low-powered and inexpensive laptop with Ubuntu (12.04) pre-installed. Be great if it can actually sell in significant numbers.

What this means for us, however, is that we need to make sure we are extra helpful to people buying this computer and not quite knowing what they are getting into! If not, then a future headline will point out the rate of return on these devices, and make Ubuntu and Linux look like it is still either a "toy" or for "geeks" only.

Would prefer if it were more powerful (competitive) but taken that Dell and now HP are selling with Ubuntu installed, this may be the start of a very good trend!

Specifications:
    Display: 15.6in screen (1,366 x 768)
    Processor: 1.48GHz AMD E1-1500
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7310
    Memory: 4GB 1,600MHz DDR3
    Storage: 750GB hard disk
    Connectivity: 802.11n WiFi; Gigabit Ethernet; Bluetooth 4.0
    Ports: 3 x USB 2, 2 x audio, SD card slot, D-SUB
    Dimensions: 376 x 247 x 36mm (WxDxH)
    Weight: 2.45kg

Last edited by Dragonbite; November 4th, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: HP Laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed!

I have an HP 655, the specs are almost identical other than mine has 8 GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive. Ubuntu runs pretty decent with these specs. Currently I am running Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 x64 on the laptop and it runs just fine.

Edit: I installed preload and TLP on this laptop, it does make a difference.
    Last edited by d-cosner; November 7th, 2014 at 10:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by d-cosner View Post
    I have an HP 655, the specs are almost identical other than mine has 8 GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive. Ubuntu runs pretty decent with these specs. Currently I am running Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 x64 on the laptop and it runs just fine.

Edit: I installed preload and TLC on this laptop, it does make a difference.
    What is TLC?

My six (or more!) year old HP 6715b has a better screen than that. The downside is the video card which is useless for 3D. I love to update but I want a matte screen that has more than 768 pixels high.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    My six (or more!) year old HP 6715b has a better screen than that. The downside is the video card which is useless for 3D. I love to update but I want a matte screen that has more than 768 pixels high.
    mate FTW! they have them on business models that come preinstalled with SUSE EL here and they work great with Ubuntu. Suse was cool as well but the model we got basically only had demo OS installed. if it had like 2 years support we would leave SUSE on it. but since it didn't, SUSE was switched with Kubuntu which works quite well.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post

What this means for us, however, is that we need to make sure we are extra helpful to people buying this computer and not quite knowing what they are getting into! If not, then a future headline will point out the rate of return on these devices, and make Ubuntu and Linux look like it is still either a "toy" or for "geeks" only.
    Extra helpful sure, but within reason. It purely depends (at least for me) on their attitude. The usual consumer who is used to bad-mouthing tech support because 'they bought it' won't work here. Considering the OS is free, they are only paying for the hardware.

I'd be extra helpful to people who are appreciative, and considerate. But not to people who simply are arrogant and disrespectful. They can go back to a proprietary OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    mate FTW! they have them on business models that come preinstalled with SUSE EL here and they work great with Ubuntu. Suse was cool as well but the model we got basically only had demo OS installed. if it had like 2 years support we would leave SUSE on it. but since it didn't, SUSE was switched with Kubuntu which works quite well.
    I think there is somewhere where you can change the SUSE repositories to openSUSE and run a kind-of hybrid. OpenSUSE isn't bad at all.

I thought there were Thinkpads with SUSE installed being sold to businesses at one point.

But that is some of the joy I have with Linux... I get a box and so long as it can run Linux I can use it in some way (or even give it to somebody in need)!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I think there is somewhere where you can change the SUSE repositories to openSUSE and run a kind-of hybrid. OpenSUSE isn't bad at all.
    actually I had OpenSuse with me but the version I had with me had some networking but and some other bug don't remember. since I also had Kubuntu with me and that version didn't have any major bugs that would affect that laptop I just installed Kubuntu. otherwise yes, some versions of opensuse are pretty great.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

What is TLC?
    Oops.... Meant to say TLP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

And there's no Windows tax on a pre-installed Linux machine, which is a big plus.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819