Thread: photoshop cs6 alternative in ubuntu ?

Beans

Question photoshop cs6 alternative in ubuntu ?

hey guys,

does anyone know of an alternative to photoshop cs6 on ubuntu plz?

my son uses this applicaion in college and i want to motivate him to start using ubuntu instead of windows, however many applications from windows are not available for ubuntu or linux.

thanks in advnace for your assistance

regards

leila

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: photoshop cs6 alternative in ubuntu ?

Hello!

My opinion?

If your son uses the app for school, it would be wise to continue to use it. It could be that work submitted using another tool will not be accepted for credit. College is what it is and course requirements are what they are.

This is an oft-asked question that sometimes generates emotionally charged discussions. The fact is that although there may be Linux alternatives, there are no perfect replacements.

GIMP will surely be offered as an alternative. However, the objective truth is that it is not a drop in replacement that will always suit the bill.

One should use the tool that works best for the task at hand. Dedication to a particular platform and forsaking all others is not pragmatic.
    Last edited by QIII; November 4th, 2014 at 05:58 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Another thing to consider is what your son will be doing with Photoshop after this course. If he is looking to work in a commercial art or design house, he needs to know the Adobe tools because that's what they will be using. GIMP is great for amateurs like me who just want to create graphics to put on a web page, but for applications with commercial printing that use things like PANTONE® colors, GIMP isn't an option.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

ok, thx for help and suggestions, makes sense.

i know in college they use citrix irtual machine, he has just log in to hes account and went to hes art and design folder.

this has given him an option and a file to download "launch.ica" however we having some issues trying to install this virtual machine in ubuntu.

its not the first time we having issues with installation of particular software application on ubuntu, however i trust this is something diferent from topic in question soi will be starting a new tread regarding this.

Thx once again for your advice.

regards

L.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

RawTherapee, an application that specializes in the development of RAW images and that comes with an impressive amount of features, has just reached version 4.1.

RawTherapee is probably one of the most advanced applications of its kind, regardless of the platform, and it can rival other solutions, such as Adobe's Lightroom.