Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: flash player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: flash player

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

...the fault also lies with web site designers using proprietary code for fancy effects.
    Absolutely. When sites use components that only work in certain browsers, they're telling other people to go away. For years, competent designers have been building sites that deliver different content to different browsers, based on the capabilities of the browser that's requested the content. This is standard, expected web design. If someone is hosting content that works *only* in the latest version of Flash and only in certain browsers, and not including fallbacks for everyone else, then, as I see it, they don't want me using their site.

If we want to use software that is only available for specific browsers on specific releases of specific operating systems (proprietary or not) then that's a choice we have to make.

Meanwhile, Linux distributions simply repackage the Linux version of Flash retrieved from the Linux repo Adobe maintains. If Adobe chooses not to make the latest Flash available for Linux, there's nothing any Linux distribution can do about it. (In fact, folks who use Fedora and other distros that do not package Flash typically install the Adobe repo and get Flash directly from there.)

Beans

In case you guys are not aware of it, now you can use up to date pepper flash on Firefox with a wrapper. https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin

I am using it on Fedora 20, all video sites I visit work and perfermance wise no different from 11.2 when the latter works* But this works on sites that no longer work with flash 11.2. I find it smoother than pipelight flash, it is pretty sweet. *hardware acceleration is not supported atm, but then hw accelaration for flash 11.2 only works on Youtube anyway)

Ubuntu users can install it with ppa http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/insta...in-ubuntu.html
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; November 14th, 2014 at 04:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Discussion about using the pepperflash plugin in firefox would be useful and looks to have some legs. However, it is unfortunate that this will take place in a thread started by what looks like a drive-by. So I've closed this thread, but @monkeybrain20122 if you want to start a fresh discussion thread about pepperflash in firefox, you'd be welcome to do so. Perhaps you'll want to include those links.

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x
    I was just curious...i know some of you use Chromium (from the software center) and added on the pepperflash (which is now also available in the software center) but i was wondering, do you get updates on the pepperflash?
    @craig10x, I found this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/193876/usin...-and-outdated/

Unfortunately, the package won’t automatically update the Pepper Flash plug-in. This is a big deal because Flash has so many security holes that frequently need to be patched. You’ll have to run a special command to update the Flash plug-in, and you won’t receive notifications when a new versionis available. This security problem is noted on the Ubuntu bug tracker.

To check for new Flash Player versions, run sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree –status in a Terminal window. To install a new version, run sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree –install.
    Perhaps that could be discussed in a fresh thread. I did indeed find I had a superseded version of pepperflash when I ran the first command.

Thread closed, but c'y'all in a new one!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123