Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a New Computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Building a New Computer

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrate View Post
    I've Googled for confirmation on your comment, but didn't find anything. Could you please state your source, and provide a link? Thanks.
    I swear that I did see it last spring on closed some Linux news site, but I have been unable to find it at all. I should have considered the source.

The point I was trying to make is that Windows viruses are everywhere, with hundreds of new ones every day. Reverse engineering Windows, and finding the security holes everywhere (which some people do for fun even), makes it easy for a cracker to create something that takes advantage of the porosity and, therefore, vulnerability, of relying on closed-source code. The Stuxnet virus, which crippled the Iranian centrifuge project, was transmitted by a USB deive. This virus took over the Siemens program, a Windows program that controlled the centrifuges, and ramped up their speed until the machines broke from the out-of-specification high speed.

An in-law, who seems wedded at the hip to Windows, and for whom I had to install Start8 for him, so he'd at least have a familiar menu, got badly infected by his carelessly clicking on a link, and it was not detected by the virus checker he had installed. He went to a nephew, who at least was aware of the virus and was able to remove it.

Commercial games, which are 99% closed-source, are also attacked, usually "cracking," but also to interfere with, say, the integrity of a connection for online gamers.

The bottom line is that this is why FOSS software is better than closed-source programs, especially when OSes are concerned (as though I need to say that on this forum) for those kind of reasons. As Eric S. Raymond said, "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow."
    Last edited by oldrocker99; October 31st, 2014 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typos, additional text

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    @Thee, you may as well get a 8gb kit, that way you get dual channel memory (tends to not work when you use 3 sticks)
    Yea that's a better idea

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I swear that I did see it last spring on closed some Linux news site, but I have been unable to find it at all. I should have considered the source.
    No problem, thanks for checking.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
    if you post a desired budget and max budget i can make a port list for you
    Desired Budget: $500

Max Budget: $700
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    pqwoerituytrueiwoq

Desired Budget: $500

Max Budget: $700
    that include a windows license? (assuming yes)
    *sounds like you are a student and get get a discount
    making you options now
    i have attached each list
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; November 1st, 2014 at 11:25 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12