Thread: 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) known bugs and work arounds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) known bugs and work arounds

This release hasn't had any real huge problems, so far about the only problem I ran into is installing drivers from xorg-edgers ppa while systemd is enabled. The work around is to disable systemd when installing drivers, then re-enabling it, once they have been installed.

To enable systemd on your system, simply add the following :

Code:
    init=/lib/systemd/systemd
    to:

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    in /etc/default/grub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) known bugs and work arounds

Minimize applications to panel doesn't appear to be a default behavior on my 14.10 installations and so I applied the same work around as 14.04.

Code:
    gsettings set org.compiz.unityshell:/org/compiz/profiles/unity/plugins/unityshell/ launcher-minimize-window true
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I wasn't sure where to post this but it seems one can't install 14.10 as a guest in VirtualBox but if you upgrade a 14.04 guest to 14.10 then it runs fine.

no idea why that would be.
    "I've asked you a million times not to exaggerate!"
    iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Beans

There seems to be a problem with installing 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) as guest in some versions of Oracle VirtualBox, it fails to install when the display becomes corrupted. (On my system parallel bands of bright colors.) The work around on my system was to move to TTY1 (with VirtualBox, Right-Ctrl+F1), then move back to TTY7 (with VirtualBox, Right-Ctrl+F7) after this the installation proceeded as expected. After full installation the Utopic Unicorn Guest booted normally...

I found this solution to my problem here:

Xubuntu 14.10
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicor...eNotes/Xubuntu
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    There seems to be a problem with installing 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) as guest in some versions of Oracle VirtualBox, it fails to install when the display becomes corrupted. (On my system parallel bands of bright colors.) The work around on my system was to move to TTY1 (with VirtualBox, Right-Ctrl+F1), then move back to TTY7 (with VirtualBox, Right-Ctrl+F7) after this the installation proceeded as expected. After full installation the Utopic Unicorn Guest booted normally...

I found this solution to my problem here:

Xubuntu 14.10
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicor...eNotes/Xubuntu
    Thanks. I'll see if it works with Ubuntu 14.10.

I first ran into this issue trying to install Kubuntu Plasma 5 but on my Mac hosts what I did was Cmd+f2 into a tty type startx and it opened the plasma desktop. It didn't work for Ubuntu 14.10 however and apparently didn't work for a host running Kubuntu 14.04.

I was told by one of the mods in the VirtualBox forum there is a fix in the works.
    thanks again.
    "I've asked you a million times not to exaggerate!"
    iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Beans

That and every 14.10 proper install of an Ubuntu based distro has killed my Open GL. Ubuntu, Zorin and PClinuxOS. All have Open Gl renderer not working with steam. My card is fine, No problems in Win 7 games.

AMD FX 8120 3ghz 8 core CPU, 8GB (2 x 4) of G-Skill 2100mhz DDR3 ram, Asus HD7770 1gb Gddr5 ram, 2TB HDD.

*update* Dug up a 14.04 copy of Ubuntu Studio..will leave of patching that for a month till 14.10 is fixed fully.
    Last edited by pizzalover1974; November 2nd, 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Beans

I have had a number of issues with 14.10:

Plymouth has crashed several times on reboot.
    The cups server stopped working, but I managed a fix by removing and re-installing the printer.
    Gmail-notify stops working after some time, but works again after a reboot.
    dpkg-reconfigure -a does not seem to be there anymore, and it is missed.
    I wound up removing ~/.config/dconf in a terminal after stopping lightdm and then restarting it.
    A number of other items stopped working and had to be reconfigured/re-installed, I wish I could remember the list.

One good thing, the XFCE weather plugin started working again.

raccoonstrait

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Since the demise of AMD64+Mac images, older Macbooks like the 2,1 will no longer boot from the amd64 iso files provided. However, Thomas Schmitt has kindly provided a c program which cunningly converts the iso images into Mac bootable DVDs. I have compiled a 64bit version of his program which is available here.

To use it, make it executable by:

Code:
     chmod +x make_single_eltorito
    place it in the same directory as the downloaded .iso image and run it in a terminal without arguments:

Code:
     ./make_single_eltorito
    Then burn the iso and enjoy 64bit Ubuntu on your older Macbook.

For other architectures, instructions on compiling the c program can be found here. You will need to change the image name in the program file to match the downloaded iso filename.

Thanks to Thomas Schmitt for his excellent program.
    Last edited by timgood; November 9th, 2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Correction
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer