Thread: How do I do a middle mouse button with System76 touchpad

Beans

How do I do a middle mouse button with System76 touchpad

Took me a couple days to figure out that there are hidden left and right mouse buttons at the bottom of the touchpad. But I really use the middle mouse button a lot and have not figured out how I can do it with this touchpad. Tried enabling middle mouse button emulation, but that doesn't seem to work. Anyone have any other ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I do a middle mouse button with System76 touchpad

I have no such computer, but it often works (by default) to click on the left and right button at the same time (within a very small interval). This often emulates the middle button. You may need to try several times, because the time interval is very tight (may be possible to increase).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

By default you just have the left and right click (I think it might be one physical button, but the touchpad knows where you tap). You can use synclient in the command line to change the settings in many ways. For some reason it doesn't remember this across bootups, though, so I have it set to "synclient TapButton2=3" on startup. This means to middle click I tap three fingers. Synclient on its own will give you the current parameters.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thalarse View Post
    By default you just have the left and right click (I think it might be one physical button, but the touchpad knows where you tap). You can use synclient in the command line to change the settings in many ways. For some reason it doesn't remember this across bootups, though, so I have it set to "synclient TapButton2=3" on startup. This means to middle click I tap three fingers. Synclient on its own will give you the current parameters.
    This answer helped solved the middle mouse button for me, but the correct command is

Code:
    synclient TapButton3=2
    See man synaptics ​for all the details. It looks like there are many options for configuring the track pad.