Thread: Permission issues across windows/ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Permission issues across windows/ubuntu

Hi,

In Ubuntu I right clicked folder_1 and selected >> properties >> local network share Clicked share folder & allow others to modify files n folders and guest acces. Jumped over to windows and logged in as ubuntu user/pass and can then access the folders/files

I have permission issues depending who creates the folder/saves the file, If I created the folder in windows I cant save anything in that folder_1, it says in Ubuntu: owner:nobody, group:nogroup on the folder_1

What can I do to get things right here?

Thanks
    Last edited by hopelessone; October 25th, 2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Permission issues across windows/ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hopelessone View Post
    Hi,

In Ubuntu I right clicked folder_1 and selected >> properties >> local network share Clicked share folder & allow others to modify files n folders and guest acces. Jumped over to windows and logged in as ubuntu user/pass and can then access the folders/files

I have permission issues depending who creates the folder/saves the file, If I created the folder in windows I cant save anything in that folder_1, it says in Ubuntu: owner:nobody, group:nogroup on the folder_1

What can I do to get things right here?

Thanks
    When you added guest access all files created are owned by nobody, group:nogroup. Since you are not nobody and not part of the nogroup those files are not accessible. Un-tick the guest access box and reboot the computer. You will now have to login as a known Samba user and you will have access to files that you create after that.

Guest access means that all users are not verified and are therefore considered nobody:nogroup. You can modify that by setting the guest user attributes in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file using the terminal CLI and a text editor. See the man pages for smb.conf
    Code:
    man smb.conf
    ...from the terminal
    Last edited by bab1; October 28th, 2014 at 02:45 AM.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Permission issues across windows/ubuntu

with the "windows 10" upgrade this now works for me