Thread: Installing/Testing Mir on Vivid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing/Testing Mir on Vivid

Thanks Graham,
    I got this:
    ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ ps aux | grep unity-system-compositor
    root 1374 0.5 1.0 820508 40456 tty7 Ssl+ 14:35 0:26 /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor --disable-inactivity-policy=true --on-fatal-error-abort --file /run/mir_socket --from-dm-fd 9 --to-dm-fd 13 --vt 7
    ringi 5554 0.0 0.0 11064 2088 pts/7 S+ 15:59 0:00 grep --color=auto unity-system-compositor

ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ ps aux | grep mir
    root 1374 0.5 1.0 820508 40572 tty7 Ssl+ 14:35 0:27 /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor --disable-inactivity-policy=true --on-fatal-error-abort --file /run/mir_socket --from-dm-fd 9 --to-dm-fd 13 --vt 7
    root 1672 1.9 2.2 481504 84164 ? Sl 14:35 1:40 /usr/bin/X -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -mir x-0 -mirSocket /run/mir_socket -nolisten tcp
    ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ ps aux | grep unity-system-compositorroot 1700 0.8 0.9 820504 37172 tty7 Ssl+ 18:28 0:16 /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor --disable-inactivity-policy=true --on-fatal-error-abort --file /run/mir_socket --from-dm-fd 10 --to-dm-fd 13 --vt 7
    ringi 5209 0.0 0.0 11064 2180 pts/8 S+ 19:01 0:00 grep --color=auto unity-system-compositor
    ringi 5689 0.0 0.0 11064 2180 pts/8 S+ 19:13 0:00 grep --color=auto mir

ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ grep -i xmir /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    [ 15.031] (II) LoadModule: "xmir"
    [ 15.032] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libxmir.so
    [ 15.035] (II) Module xmir: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

ringi@ringi-Lenovo-Ideapad-Flex-15:~$ ls -l /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log
    -rw------- 1 root root 367 Oct 28 18:59 /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log
    Last edited by xc3RnbFO8P; October 28th, 2014 at 07:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I would say that you have Unity. Try

Code:
    ps aux | grep unity-system-compositor
    Although, I found that Unity System Compositor gets left behind if we install and then remove unity8-desktop-session-mir. I have just checked a Vivid install of daily image (20141027) and unity-system-compositor is not installed by default.

I have just checked a Vivid Ubuntu Desktop Next install by going into tty2 after logging into the phone UI and unity-system-compositor is installed and running

Code:
    ps aux | grep mir
    comes up with /run/lightdm-mir. So, we have progressed from Xmir to lightdm-mir. It makes sense. One day we will get mir-mir or will that be mir-eol and purr purr?

For your information.

Regards

What I am expecting from mir is that we will be able to slip-stream desktop experiences either from the VTs or from a GUI shim (or be able to run two desktops concurrently)!! Now , VTs can be run concurrently , say . two terminals .. one with htop and one with midnight commander. Very cool. Now , imagine with lightdm-mir we can bump , lets say. gnome-session or gnome-shell or mate with Unity3D or ubuntu-next .. and back again without having to log off - log on. That would be a real feat. I think it can be done. Perhaps it can already be done. I'm looking. It would make mir an 'all that a compositor should be' kind of hallmark for ubuntu. Ubuntu-next will then have it's place . but perhaps not on the desktop as much.

Currently VMs only emulate the appearance that two DE's or OSes can run concurrently but they are actually WAITed when switching from one OS to another so it is not a true parallel process. All that resource gone to waste.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I tried on Desktop Next running setsid unity and I got back "failed to execute unity: no such file or directory." We know the Terminal is not installing and there is supposed to be a File Manager but I cannot find it in the App store. Those are the only two apps that are "unconfined". That is they can access data in other apps. All the other apps in the app store are confined. This means that the music app cannot access the contacts list in the contacts app, for example.

I can see you idea working and it might work they way you think - on different VTs. If MIr is running from the first loading of Linux and other DE+Ui are configured to run on Mir. And why should that not be possible? Then Yes. It could happen.

I tried Linux years and years ago. And I remember that it was possible to run one application in one console and another application in another console. It makes me wonder what happens when we select another session from the login screen. Does the session run on tty7 or maybe another tty? Is this switching of VTs already happening?

To my mind there might be another way. In Unity 8 apps run on "surfaces." An alternative desktop could be made to run on a surface running on Unity 8. But what do I know about anything. I am talking out of the top of my head. Ignore me.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 28th, 2014 at 11:21 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

@ grahammechanical. I think you nailed it! I remember and olde DOS program (using MSDOS 5.0) It was shareware (Association of Sharware Professionals) and I was also at the time experimenting with Linus's first boot-disk floppy (which didn't boot ) .

The DOS program took advantage of the 80386 DX processors capabilities to multitask (circa 1992) It gave me three real-time terminals (Windows) One , I could have a game running , 2nd I could have the word-processor going and third I could have the DOS command line and I could switch between them by using an Alt+(n) macro with out flushing any buffers .. etc.. so we are on the same line of thinking except I think except I cannnot help thinking that 2 kernels can be running at the same time on Mir , concurrently = so there is actually no down time.

Regards..

edit:

I recall at times it was called 'split terminal' but this had a WAIT state I believe.
    Last edited by ventrical; October 29th, 2014 at 12:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What put this into my mind was you discovering that Desktop Next is running on tty8 and not tty7. And that is true. With Desktop Next I go into tty2 and run update/upgrade and then switch to the OS on tty8. By the way, I have one Desktop Next install running on the devel repositories. Those repositories are now open as far as I can see.

In time we shall need a whole different set of sudo commands. For example, startx won't work on Mir, will it?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro

What put this into my mind was you discovering that Desktop Next is running on tty8 and not tty7. And that is true. With Desktop Next I go into tty2 and run update/upgrade and then switch to the OS on tty8. By the way, I have one Desktop Next install running on the devel repositories. Those repositories are now open as far as I can see.

In time we shall need a whole different set of sudo commands. For example, startx won't work on Mir, will it?

Regards.
    As far as I recall in the past few days , startx is no longer downloaded by default , at least not on Ubuntu- Next. I'm back at it now ... checking this out.

Edit:

If you are using your Ubuntu Desktop-Next , no, startx or (xinit)is not installed by default. To install it you have to:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xinit
    I'm willing to bust my install just to see what happens.

I'll get back.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; October 29th, 2014 at 05:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

My system did not bust but, now , after update/upgrade, unity8 is deprecated with no network connection or at least the browser will not work (I do not think it is related to installing <xinit> but I was able to open the notepad in ubity8 desktop next and mc in tty1 and was able to switch back and forth between tty1 and tty8 with no interruption in editing on unity8 slate not midnight commander.

So ...this was the case before I installed xinit.

That leads to the question ... what terminal server was midnight commander and htop running on. Xmir or xorg? (Couldn't find the processes/service xorg/xmir/unity-system-compositor running in htop so beats me).

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have had some success in my experiments. I have managed to install the original touch core apps that we messed around with months ago. I post my report in the Desktop Next thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2248940&page=3

I wonder what going to tty6 and running lightdm start will do?

Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Anybody have any idea what this 'pay-service' is.

Ubuntu-Desktop Next
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

I have had some success in my experiments. I have managed to install the original touch core apps that we messed around with months ago. I post my report in the Desktop Next thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2248940&page=3

I wonder what going to tty6 and running lightdm start will do?

Regards.
    I tired running this (also in a script) and it will either restart the unity-greeter login or just hang and you will need a Ctrl+z in CLI to get out.

Regards..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast