Thread: how can I run ubuntu on. 266mhz and 128mbps ram

Beans

how can I run ubuntu on. 266mhz and 128mbps ram

I''ve got an old Dell tower with. 266mhz cpu and 128mb of ram. I want to use it to practice running a website. I'm familiar with ubuntu,so I want to stay with ubuntu. Could I install ubuntu server and then install a light de, like openbox? What would you guys recommend?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how can I run ubuntu on. 266mhz and 128mbps ram

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlood View Post
    I''ve got an old Dell tower with. 266mhz cpu and 128mb of ram. I want to use it to practice running a website. I'm familiar with ubuntu,so I want to stay with ubuntu. Could I install ubuntu server and then install a light de, like openbox? What would you guys recommend?
    Let me put it like this, my old router has a faster processor than that box. That box is a real dinosaur.

It does not have enough RAM to run Ubuntu server comfortably.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

I would look at running Tiny Core with a web server or something like it and see if you can get that working.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Even an LXDE desktop needs more RAM than that. I'll second TinyCore, it will run on anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I run Ubuntu server on an very very old computer with a 200 MHz CPU and 128 Megabytes of ram. It works surprisingly well. I even run Samba on it. As a simple web server, it is fine. I use it each cycle for minimum requirements testing, the thinking being if this computer that is less than minimum requirements works, then one that meets minimum requirements will work for sure.

However, for the 13.10 or 14.04 cycle the memory requirements for the installer increased by another 64 megabytes (I think it was) and so I now do not have enough memory for the installation process, but have no problem upgrading from an earlier version. So, I suggest you try 12.04 server. Do not try to install a GUI. Have something else to do during the installation process, as it takes quite awhile.

Edit:
    see also: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1294908
    Last edited by Doug S; October 24th, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Or set up a freenas server: http://nas4free.org
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.