Thread: ownCloud caution

Beans

ownCloud caution

I just came across this which is a request to remove ownCloud software from "universe".
    On behalf of the ownCloud project (www.owncloud.org) I’m requesting that “ownCloud server" is removed from the Ubuntu packages: http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/owncloud (including all versions) - Let’s hope that this is finally the right ML for this kind of request.

These packaged versions are all vulnerable to multiple critical security bugs and no security fixes have been backported, for a reference of security bugs please visit http://owncloud.org/security/advisories/
    Those security bugs allows an unauthenticated attacker to gain complete control about the web server process.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ownCloud caution

I used OpenSUSE repo to install it. as I understand they only support versions 6 and 7
    version 6.0.1 is obsolete. it should be 6.0.2 or 6.0.3 if it was already released.

edit: by the way - still no Ubuntu One private server?!
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The exchange of emails was interesting. It led to this

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...d/+bug/1384355
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Glad I've been manually installing owncloud on my boxes. Granted, I use Debian, but having it sitting in the Universe repository with no outside support seems foolish.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I couldn't get the Ubuntu repo version to work, anyway. I just downloaded the tar.gz file from the OwnCloud website and installed that.

I sometimes wonder what it would take for some of the devs to see something as a major issue. Maybe a close friend/family member getting hacked, otherwise it doesn't seem important.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This uncovers a wider issue, which was mentioned in this article:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ownCl...y-462906.shtml

One of the big issues with the Ubuntu repositories, in particular "universe," is that they’re full of old and unmaintained versions. This is a repository where anyone care be a maintainer and it's mainly used for applications that are not supported officially.

What happens is that a user becomes a maintainer for a particular package, which basically means that he updates that package on a regular basis, or at least he should. Stuff happens, the packages are no longer maintained, and Ubuntu users get to use some really old versions.

Perhaps they should say that it is a specific problem with the Universe (perhaps Multiverse too?) repository, where it sometimes happens that the maintainer loses interest and wanders off. I wonder if this episode might get Canonical to consider whether there should be some regular spring-cleaning in the Universe repo.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

but if they do the spring cleaning, then they can't boast over 30.000 packages...

the fact is there is too much old stuff in repo. and then saying to users they can safely install this old unpatched software is irresponsible.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    This uncovers a wider issue, which was mentioned in this article:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ownCl...y-462906.shtml...
    That's where I got the mailing list link from. But I thought it prudent not to cite the Softpedia article.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Perhaps they should say that it is a specific problem with the Universe (perhaps Multiverse too?) repository, where it sometimes happens that the maintainer loses interest and wanders off. I wonder if this episode might get Canonical to consider whether there should be some regular spring-cleaning in the Universe repo.
    That's one of the reasons I only backport stuff for myself, which in my case is ZNC on Debian Wheezy (which isn't in the backports repo), but don't push it out or try to get it into backports. I thought about it for a time, but it seems like too much work for little or no reward.

There should be a purge of all packages that are no longer maintained, but I doubt that is ever going to happen.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans