Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: install alongside

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: install alongside

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    -if it ain't broke - don't fix it -- and they did!
    +1

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Trying with the next uploaded Lubuntu desktop iso file, dated 20141020 and with the md5sum 42a489628386a2b7faacc67db1ab8649 there was an improvement. I don't know exactly why, because I haven't saved the old iso file to try again, and I cannot easily find if it was a temporary glitch the last time or some debugging action, that makes it work now. (Maybe there was a quick fix by someone who knows this part of Ubiquity well after the recent debug action of 'Install alongside'.)
    Now I think it was a glitch due to flaky cooperation with a USB 3 hub, that I used at the first testing instance. That hub is rather new (bought this year) and has worked before except with one particular pendrive (which was not used in any of these tests). It has worked with many linux operating systems, also for booting, including Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, Arch, Fedora, Mageia, openSUSE, Debian Wheezy and Jessie, Puppy Wary and Tiny Core. But it works only sometimes with Lubuntu 14.10 (otherwise boots to a text screen with some error output), and I suspect it was involved in the failure to continue from the window, which complained that swap could not be created in the live drive.

I'll test if the hub is failing, but at least some of those other distros still boot properly via it ...

Tiny Core, ToriOS, Mageia work,

xubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-i386.iso and ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso do not work (but worked until some week ago) ... so I think the USB 3 hub is failing, or at least, it has changed somehow and lost the ability to cooperate with some operating systems and or pendrives during booting.

The modern Ubuntu based distros, versions, flavours work when booted directly from the USB port in the computer (but not via the hub and the same USB port).
    Last edited by sudodus; October 22nd, 2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typing error corrected

Beans
    Hidden!

... Ubiquity at this stage of the game is an absolute failure in regards to USB to USB installs. I got it to finish/restart but locks up on log-in screen and is -super- slow ...
    If the target drive is a fast USB 3 pendrive, you can write many small files relatively fast (even via a USB 2 port, but of course faster via a USB 3 port). My target drive is a Sandisk Extreme, which I think gives good value for the money. See these links:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites
    Link to USB 3.0 Flash Drive Speed Tests
    Link to USB 2 and USB 3 speed tests for installers

A USB 2 HDD is much better than an average pendrive (because you can write many small files relatively fast).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I'm just using basically cheap Dane USB pens, Kingstons and Transcend. Point it , I have had problem before on these machines using maveric or Lucid. I was able to do a Trusty USB to USB on ver 3.0Transcend 32GB and that OS is still going. All my Lucid USB are still operational.

I think I mis-spoke .. The Trusty USB to USB worked really well on ubuntu-desktop-amd64.iso.

Beans
    Distro

If the target drive is a fast USB 3 pendrive, you can write many small files relatively fast (even via a USB 2 port, but of course faster via a USB 3 port). My target drive is a Sandisk Extreme, which I think gives good value for the money. See these links:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites
    Link to USB 3.0 Flash Drive Speed Tests
    Link to USB 2 and USB 3 speed tests for installers

A USB 2 HDD is much better than an average pendrive (because you can write many small files relatively fast).
    Please disregard my original comment.. it was written when I was tired.

thnx

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!

Please disregard my original comment.. it was written when I was tired.

thnx

Regards..
    Do you want me to remove what I have quoted? Just tell me and I'll remove it

Beans
    Hidden!

Report from iso-testing Utopic Final Lubuntu amd64 desktop iso:

1a. The 'Install alongside' option was not available with a 16 GB USB 3 pendrive with Utopic with this amd64 iso file. (It was available and worked with the i386 iso file).

1b. Reinstalling a minimal system (Trusty-nonpae-txt5.tar.xz via the One Button Installer) it *worked* with the 16 GB USB 3 pendrive with this amd64 iso file. Either the installer is sensitive to the space left, or it suggests overwriting 'itself' (another instance of the same version).

2. With an SSD drive containing Windows Technical Preview (Windows 10) and Ubuntu Trusty, only Trusty was acknowledged, and it was suggested to 'install alongside Ubuntu 14.04.1'. However, at the next window the NTFS partition was suggested to be preserved as 'Files', and Lubuntu to be installed behind it (so overwriting Ubuntu Trusty). This is confusing. (I did not want to destroy the system, so I quit the installer.)

Whoever needs more tests or details, please advice what to do and where to report it.
    Last edited by sudodus; October 23rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added test-case 1b

Beans
    Distro

Do you want me to remove what I have quoted? Just tell me and I'll remove it
    No , thank you. I have struck out the superfluous comment "all other cycles in between" so my original comment stands .. of course with the correction that - on an average basic , during development cycles, most Ubiquity bugs are ironed out at release , but not necessarily outstanding bugs that have been shevled.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Report from iso-testing Utopic Final Lubuntu amd64 desktop iso:

1a. The 'Install alongside' option was not available with a 16 GB USB 3 pendrive with Utopic with this amd64 iso file. (It was available and worked with the i386 iso file).

1b. Reinstalling a minimal system (Trusty-nonpae-txt5.tar.xz via the One Button Installer) it *worked* with the 16 GB USB 3 pendrive with this amd64 iso file. Either the installer is sensitive to the space left, or it suggests overwriting 'itself' (another instance of the same version).

2. With an SSD drive containing Windows Technical Preview (Windows 10) and Ubuntu Trusty, only Trusty was acknowledged, and it was suggested to 'install alongside Ubuntu 14.04.1'. However, at the next window the NTFS partition was suggested to be preserved as 'Files', and Lubuntu to be installed behind it (so overwriting Ubuntu Trusty). This is confusing.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    +1! And also the option of placing grub somewhere other than /dev/sda if desired w/o being required to use the advanced partitioning tool.

In the real world I always create the desired partitions using Gparted and then use advanced partitioning to properly assign each partitions mount point, but since we do offer options for the noobs we need to be sure those options work in a manner that a real noob can use. We should at least be able to do everything with ubiquity that we could do with the d-i.
    Thanks, for looking out for noobs, people.

It's good to know I am doing it right.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345