Thread: Can't access DVD drive in Win 7 under Kubuntu/VB

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can't access DVD drive in Win 7 under Kubuntu/VB

Linux doesn't quite have all the DVD software that I want, so I want to use a few Windows programs. I therefore have Windows 7 installed to run under VirtualBox. However, in Win 7, I'm unable to access my physical DVD drive. I've been googling around, but have yet to find a solution. The consensus in the links I found in Google was that I needed to go to Settings ==> Storage ==> Controller IDE and then add my DVD drive there. However, I've been unable to do so. Here's a screen shot:

image upload

The Windows 2000 iso is there probably because I've also installed Windows 2000 under VirtualBox. (Long story -- need to run some really old software.)

Anyway, when I click on that icon for adding my DVD drive, the menu comes up and shows all my external hard drives and thumb drives, but not my DVD drive -- if I have no DVD in the drive. If I put a DVD in the drive, then the drive shows, but it doesn't get added when I select it. What am I missing here?

I can delete the Win 2K ISO if necessary. It's already installed and running.
    ===========
    Kubuntu 22.04 LTS, (Win 7 & Win 2K in VirtualBox)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can't access DVD drive in Win 7 under Kubuntu/VB

I note there are some invalid user settings detected in your VM which you should put right. I don't know if that will help with your problem, never having used a CD or DVD in any of my VMs, but it probably needs addressing in any case.

You may also find that installing the VBox Guest Additions which you can get from Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox will help with the problem.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 19th, 2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, passing through the physical DVD from the hostOS is managed on the virtualbox popup menu from inside the running VM. Something like "mount host CD/DVD drive" is the option. I vaguely recall that menu being in the top/center of the guestOS machine (when full-screen). When not full-screen, it is under "Devices --> CD/DVD --> Host drive X:"

Or are you trying to boot off a DVD? That is handled the way the OP spells out - through the storage menu **before** booting the OS from the optical media. It may be easier to create an ISO from the media, then connect that to the guestOS VM instead. I've done this a few times for MSFT stuff.

Is that not working or did I miss the point (again) completely?
    Last edited by TheFu; October 19th, 2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: boot vs accessing DVDs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Actually, passing through the physical DVD from the hostOS is managed on the virtualbox popup menu from inside the running VM. Something like "mount host CD/DVD drive" is the option. I vaguely recall that menu being in the top/center of the guestOS machine (when full-screen). When not full-screen, it is under "Devices --> CD/DVD --> Host drive X:"

Or are you trying to boot off a DVD? That is handled the way the OP spells out - through the storage menu **before** booting the OS from the optical media. It may be easier to create an ISO from the media, then connect that to the guestOS VM instead. I've done this a few times for MSFT stuff.

Is that not working or did I miss the point (again) completely?
    You understood. I'm not trying to boot to a DVD. I'm trying to access one from within Windows 7. I have sometimes used ISOs as you suggest. That does work, but I'll be accessing a lot of physical DVD disks, and things would move along a lot more quickly if I could work with them directly in the Windows software.

I'm going to try your suggestions now. Thanks.

Edit: We're in business! I was just able to access my DVD drive. Thanks to everyone for their help.
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; October 19th, 2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: to give thanks
    ===========
    Kubuntu 22.04 LTS, (Win 7 & Win 2K in VirtualBox)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

So, what was it that solved the problem?