Thread: Memory,addresses and pointers

Beans

Memory,addresses and pointers

Hello,

I am only a novice programmer and recently gained interest in memory, addresses, pointers and free store allocation. I have only a basic understanding of variables, operators and program structure ( I have written some simple programs).

If I want to learn about those mentioned above, what should I master before them? Classes? Or/and something else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Memory,addresses and pointers

Hi spacerocket.

It's been a long time since I learned that, but they go together with "Data Structures and Algorithms".

The basic data structures (or 'objects') that benefit from dynamic allocations are: lists, stacks and trees.

I would start with either lists, or stacks. First* you create the data structure, then the basic procedures like 'init', 'add', 'remove', 'search', etc.

Just some thoughts. Hope it helps.
    Regards.

* alternatively, with OOP in mind, you can create the classes and its methods.
    Last edited by papibe; October 17th, 2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: syntax

Beans
    Distro

Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans

Even the simplest of programs written in C will use most of these concepts, so I'd start with some simple C tutorials.

And since you're on Linux, you have 2 excellent c compilers to choose from, clang or gcc.

PS what on earth is 'free store allocation' ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is another good resource for dealing with pointers.http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/102/

As has been said data structures are a great way to get familiar with pointers. Simple lists that can grow and shrink are a very good exercise. A great tool to track down memory leaks is valgrind.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dataformsaction View Post
    PS what on earth is 'free store allocation' ?
    "Free store" is sometimes used as a synonym for "heap". In C++, I understand it refers specifically to the memory space used for allocation with new/delete, as opposed to the heap which is used by malloc/free, but don't quote me on that. It's the same memory either way.

Beans

Ok,

I`m generally interested in board games, and datastructures like bitsets come in handy for those. In my book there was a some chapters about bits, but not really much. I have tried to search for online documentation and so on but I have to say that I

understand relatively little how to use shifting operators with board games (diatgonal and horizontal search, how to use & operator with >>). Is there any book/documentation for more about that?

Beans
    Distro

Since bit sets/arrays are a complete different concern, I'd recommend opening a new thread about that specific topic.

Regards.