Thread: UTF-8 messed up in window titles

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

UTF-8 messed up in window titles

I've noticed that Firefox is messing up special characters in the window title. See attached image for an example. This is in Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS What do I need to adjust to get these back to normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: UTF-8 messed up in window titles

That's odd. The heading looks OK on my firefox (v33.0). Could it be down to the font you use for window headings? Mine is "Sans Bold".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is a plain vanilla, fresh re-installation of 14.04 updated to 14.04.1 I haven't changed the fonts or anything.

Beans

In Lubuntu, the font in the window title is set in ~/.config/openbox/lubuntu-rc.xml in the section between <theme> and </theme>:
    Code:
      <theme><name>AAA111</name><titleLayout>L</titleLayout>
    <!--
          available characters are NDSLIMC, each can occur at most once.
          N: window icon
          L: window label (AKA title).
          I: iconify
          M: maximize
          C: close
          S: shade (roll up/down)
          D: omnipresent (on all desktops).
    -->
      <keepBorder>no</keepBorder>
        <animateIconify>no</animateIconify>
        <font place="ActiveWindow"><name>Ubuntu Medium</name><size>11</size><!-- font size in points --><weight>bold</weight><!-- 'bold' or 'normal' --><slant>normal</slant><!-- 'italic' or 'normal' --></font>
        <font place="InactiveWindow"><name>Ubuntu Medium</name><size>11</size><!-- font size in points --><weight>bold</weight><!-- 'bold' or 'normal' --><slant>normal</slant><!-- 'italic' or 'normal' --></font>
        <font place="MenuHeader"><name>Ubuntu</name><size>11</size><!-- font size in points --><weight>normal</weight><!-- 'bold' or 'normal' --><slant>normal</slant><!-- 'italic' or 'normal' --></font>
        <font place="MenuItem"><name>Ubuntu</name><size>11</size><!-- font size in points --><weight>normal</weight><!-- 'bold' or 'normal' --><slant>normal</slant><!-- 'italic' or 'normal' --></font>
        <font place="ActiveOnScreenDisplay"><name>Ubuntu Medium</name><size>11</size><!-- font size in points --><weight>bold</weight><!-- 'bold' or 'normal' --><slant>normal</slant><!-- 'italic' or 'normal' --></font>
        <font place="InactiveOnScreenDisplay"><name>Ubuntu Medium</name><size>11</size><!-- font size in points --><weight>bold</weight><!-- 'bold' or 'normal' --><slant>normal</slant><!-- 'italic' or 'normal' --></font>
      </theme>
    And I think that the font chosen there is what we see in the window titles of most if not all programs. So I don't understand why the issue is limited to Firefox.

I forgot to mention that the "smart quotes" in the title of the Launchpad page appear okay for me in Firefox 33 on Lubuntu 14.04 (fully updated).
    Last edited by vasa1; October 18th, 2014 at 03:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Many (all?) applications

It's not limited to Firefox. That's where I noticed it first. I should mention that it is also present in LibreOffice, Thunderbird, etc. The body of said documents uses UTF-8 just fine, though. I notice that in the terminal there is a problem with filenames and directory names in UTF-8.