Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 33 slow?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Firefox 33

I am using 34.0a2 (2014-10-13). I downloaded it from their site so I am on Aurora update channel.

No speed difference.

Addons : NoScript, Ghostery, Bluhell, NetVideoHunter, BetterPrivacy, DownloadThemAll.
    Last edited by linuxyogi; October 19th, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just to update;

Tried Firefox again this morning. Sammiev, you are INDEED right about the scrolling with the mouse. It appears to be erratic on my install; sometimes jerky, sometimes smooth. When I posted my previous reply, it was behaving itself.....but I can now see what you mean!

It DOES, however, run and load at its normal speed.....so my issue appears to be simply the scrolling.

Curious.

Regards,

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; October 19th, 2014 at 12:58 PM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Walsh View Post
    Just to update;

Tried Firefox again this morning. Sammiev, you are INDEED right about the scrolling with the mouse. It appears to be erratic on my install; sometimes jerky, sometimes smooth. When I posted my previous reply, it was behaving itself.....but I can now see what you mean!

It DOES, however, run and load at its normal speed.....so my issue appears to be simply the scrolling.

Curious.

Regards,

Mike.
    Scrolling is the problem, the more graphics, the worst it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I don't use Chrome, but I do use Chromium sometimes and I don't find that is better at scrolling than FF, but then as I said in post #2, FF 33 works fine here for me on Xubuntu 64bit.

I wonder if this is related to graphics card in some way. What is your hardware?
    I'm curious about graphics hardware as well. I have an AMD board and Nvidia G210 graphics. The open video driver doesn't like that combination at all, performance and stability are substandard to be kind. Nvidia's driver works great. I wonder if there's something about Firefox' graphics engine that goes crossways with Sammiev's hardware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Firefox 33 slow?

When I tried using Unity for the first time everything seemed fine but video playback was choppy so I installed the (#apt-get install lubuntu-desktop) the lubuntu DE and tested video performance. The playback was smooth. Just install lubuntu-desktop and test FF's performance. If FF runs well under lubuntu then Unity is too much for your GPU.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    When I tried using Unity for the first time everything seemed fine but video playback was choppy so I installed the (#apt-get install lubuntu-desktop) the lubuntu DE and tested video performance. The playback was smooth. Just install lubuntu-desktop and test FF's performance. If FF runs well under lubuntu then Unity is too much for your GPU.
    Before having him do that, wouldn't be a good idea if we asked what kind of GPU he has? I mean, I'm running Unity smoothly on an integrated Intel GPU from 2008.

Granted, it could be the GPU, but it may also just be a bug in either Unity or the driver for his GPU. Also, gotta keep in mind that he is 14.10, which is still an RC.
    Last edited by Kale_Freemon; October 21st, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
    System76 Lemur5 (64-bit) - Antergos
    Dell Dimension 4500 (32-bit) - Win XP Pro (Down)
    Gateway NV59C (64-bit) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04
    2014 Mac mini - Sierra

Beans

I posted all my info already and it only happens with FF33. I will try testing and older version to see how much difference I notice. All other browsers are smooth as glass.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I posted all my info already and it only happens with FF33. I will try testing and older version to see how much difference I notice. All other browsers are smooth as glass.
    I'm still willing to bet bug. Excuse me if I seem a bit newbish when it comes to trying to read the output you posted earlier. But, I'm assuming when you said it was a fully Intel system, you meant that you are also using an integrated GPU.

Regardless of that, your system should be able to handle it fine. My old Macbook runs it flawlessly, as does my old Gateway. All Intel. So, this seems odd. Again, though, it's an RC.

How well did disabling smooth scrolling work? Has it been consistent or did it start acting up again?
    System76 Lemur5 (64-bit) - Antergos
    Dell Dimension 4500 (32-bit) - Win XP Pro (Down)
    Gateway NV59C (64-bit) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04
    2014 Mac mini - Sierra

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    ... It's is much slower with the page movements using the mouse but as quick as it was when I slide the bar up and down with the mouse.
    What about when you use the page up and page down keys?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kale_Freemon View Post
    I'm still willing to bet bug. Excuse me if I seem a bit newbish when it comes to trying to read the output you posted earlier. But, I'm assuming when you said it was a fully Intel system, you meant that you are also using an integrated GPU.

Regardless of that, your system should be able to handle it fine. My old Macbook runs it flawlessly, as does my old Gateway. All Intel. So, this seems odd. Again, though, it's an RC.

How well did disabling smooth scrolling work? Has it been consistent or did it start acting up again?
    Made it worse than it was.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast