Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unhappy with defective laptop

Beans

Angry unhappy with defective laptop

EDIT: I wrote this to send directly to System76, then posted it here for public response from S76 people monitoring the forums. But as clarified in the following posts, i didn't rewrite it clearly for this forum. Also: resolution in a post further below. -- alyosha2

I purchased a lemur 2 years ago (order ID 23967) -- with some nice customer assistance, i must say to give credit where it's due. But it arrived unable to power on; just a second of fan and light, then off again. After lengthy phone assist, i sent it back for service. (The coordination around shipping wasn't great, minor compared to the rest of my story, but worth a note.)

I got it back after about a week and a half, seemingly fine. I was told there was a short circuit related to the screen. This was my first linux pre-install and my first step into a zero-windows life, so i was biased to support the cause. I chalked it up to "stuff" happens with even the best brands occasionally. But the problems with the unit and system76 continued.

I took my time with the 30-day upgrade period, and well within it i contacted you about getting a larger SSD. I was told the 30 days have expired -- because you had counted the days when i had no laptop in my possesion, when i had yet to even power on my computer! Ridiculous! I should have stood up for myself; but again i let it go. (I don't know if that should count as "fool me once" or "fool me twice".)

Then things were fine for a while -- but i must point out that i used it entirely in desktop mode, didn't move it around, didn't even close the screen.

Later on i had a few sudden power-off problems: once when i lowered the screen and it snapped the rest of the way shut, another time when i cleaned the screen. I wrote to you concerned that the original problem was continuing. I was told the unit was out of warranty (and it can't have been by much at that point). Again and for the last time, i accepted this. I figured i would continue to be careful.

Now i've moved and have a different life situation, and am using the laptop as a laptop: closing it, moving it...and the original problem is back. It shuts itself down occasionally when closed (but settings for only turning off the screen), once while i was carrying it cupped at the hinge end, when moving the screen. I'm busy and was looking for a chance to write you. Then last night it took me many tries with the screen at different angles, pressing on it here and there, for it to power on at all. I finally got it up and did a fresh backup, peeking under the mostly closed lid. The unit is reverting to the doorstop that you first sold me.

I know that it's out of warranty. I know that it was my bad luck and your good luck that i used it gently enough for it to function for this long. But i also know that you didn't properly fix it and the unit has been defective the whole time. By the book you can tell me to buzz off; but i hope you will be a customer-friendly vendor.

I look forward to your response,
    alyosha
    Last edited by alyosha2; November 13th, 2014 at 10:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: unhappy with defective laptop

I'm not sure who this is directed at. Where did you purchase your problematic laptop? It seems to have hardware issues. What kind of response do you expect at ubuntu discussion forums??

Beans

When i look at the top of the page, it says " this sub-forum is for technical support only for System76 hardware", and is one place suggested for support on the S76 website. And frankly i thought a more public complaint, visible to people researching whether to buy this brand, might help. I'm confused why you are confused.
    Last edited by alyosha2; October 14th, 2014 at 01:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, but we are not System76. You would be better to contact them directly. Create an account and air your grievances.

This forum is for hardware and software support for System76. I also have no idea why you have composed your post to a System76 tech consultant here. The forums are a totally independent entity which do not represent System76. We can only help you if you have a problem that is fixable by the general community. We can't do anything about warranty claims or otherwise on System76's behalf. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 14th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by alyosha2 View Post
    When i look at the top of the page, it says " this sub-forum is for technical support only for System76 hardware", and is one place suggested for support on the S76 website. And frankly i thought a more public complaint, visible to people researching whether to buy this brand, might help. I'm confused why you are confused.
    You had worded your message as if addressing people who sold you the laptop;

The unit is reverting to the doorstop that you first sold me.

I know that it's out of warranty. I know that it was my bad luck and your good luck that i used it gently enough for it to function for this long. But i also know that you didn't properly fix it and the unit has been defective the whole time. By the book you can tell me to buzz off; but i hope you will be a customer-friendly vendor.

I look forward to your response,
    alyosha
    and like Bucky Ball pointed out these forums do not represent your hardware manufacturer or retailer. Hence my confusion, best of luck with your laptop.

Beans

I remembered seeing S76 people respond on the forum when it would be helpful. Apparently not, or no longer. But in any case you're right that i should have addressed the post more clearly. Thanks for the note.
    Last edited by alyosha2; October 14th, 2014 at 05:52 PM.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: unhappy with defective laptop

S76 gave me free shipping and repair out of warranty, tho with a caution that the problem might return. I'm not thrilled with the hardward itself after all this; but having posted my unhappiness, i have to acknowledge that they backed up the unit+customer above and beyond what they had to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I almost bought a System76 two years ago - but I changed my mind after careful consideration.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alyosha2 View Post
    I remembered seeing S76 people respond on the forum when it would be helpful. Apparently not, or no longer. But in any case you're right that i should have addressed the post more clearly. Thanks for the note.
    They do.

But in general they keep to support rather than complaint here - which is as it should be.

Beans

After S76 responded to my support request [ahem] with the service described above, the unit was significantly better for a few weeks. Then it deteriorated and is now worse than ever. It frequently powers off instantly at the tiniest bumps or screen adjustments, and half the time does not want to power back on even when shut down properly. So two "repairs" from them have gotten me nowhere.

I should add that after doing whatever they did to it this last time and telling me further work might be needed, they shipped it back to me without asking what i wanted to do next, if i wanted a more thoro repair or parts replacement, even to pay for it out of warranty. So further odd and sub-par customer service.

I have no doubt that my unit is below average, even for S76, and others have had better luck. And S76 undoubtedly does some things well, (and i slept on the problems), and it's great that they support Linux. But:

In light of the hardware and the customer service, i have to warn people away from System76.

I expect to post a follow-up when i get the first actual repair done on my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast