Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cant find a working email clent

Beans

cant find a working email clent

Hi, Iv just switched over to Ubuntu from many years of M$ but im having such trouble with getting a working email client.

Iv tried thunderbird and even though i dropped it years ago on windows it STILL does not notify me for each new email (the same reason i dropped it on windows). I have tried all the notification add-ons i could find but nothing helps 100%
    Iv tried evolution but that stops automatically checking for incoming mail after the comp has been suspended (lid closed on my laptops), i have to close down evolution and restart it before it starts automatically checking mail again.

Iv tried looking at the other mail clients and they don’t seem to have any sort of unified folders so they are no good either.

Im using Ubuntu 14.04
    I need Unified mail folders.
    I need a visual notification on every new email.
    I need a audio notification on every new email.
    I need the mail icon to always turn blue when i have unread mail.

I have spent the last 4 days searching and it seems to be to do with the fact that i have many IMAP accounts including Gmail, AOL, Yahoo & my own domains.

I just cant believe this problem has been about on TB for soooo long now but is still unfixed. On windows i switched to eMclient which works flawlessly but that has no Linux version and is not cheep.

Any advice would be great

Thx for you help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: cant find a working email clent

Hi, welcome.

Thunderbird always worked for me with all notifications that you mentioned. All of that without any additional tweaking or third-party add-ons.

(EDIT) PS - I only use IMAP accounts as well so it must be unrelated.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thunderbird has a time interval for checking emails so it won't notify you immediately. Just shortening the time interval check is the only way. I don't any option to make it real time though (unlike on outlook which immediately updates on a new email).

Also TB will close when you click the close button on its window. If you want it to remain on the notification area you can install an add-on. I don't remember the exact name but just search for "notification" in available addons.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I, too, have no problem with Thunderbird; but then I use POP, so my situation doesn't really equate to yours.

However, I have 5 accounts running on Thunderbird (with at least 4 different providers), and I always get notifications for every single one. I don't always get the icon turning blue, but then I run quite a few different OSs, not all of which have the icon anyway.....

I don't know for certain (I haven't really looked for it), but maybe there is something in the Settings that can be changed?

Regards,

Mike.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans

Hi, thx for the response but the mail i just recived for your post gave the visual & audio but no blue box ?? its kinda random and its like this on all of my computers, from xp to win8 and now ubuntu as well.

Yea its definitely when you use IMAP.

Sometimes it does not even notify at all in any way !

I have read many many posts on the TB subject and iv tried all the fixes , patches, setting changes & addons , sometimes they seem to work for a while but not for long.
    Last edited by jackdinn; October 12th, 2014 at 07:17 PM.

Beans

Im not really to worried about TB i just want a working client so if anyone can suggest one that fits my requirements (above post) that would do fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If so, I'm sorry I can't offer further help.
    Hopefully some expert see this and provide useful comments.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

So you already tried Evolution Mail?
    Why not try Geary http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-gea...ative-systems/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    Thunderbird has a time interval for checking emails so it won't notify you immediately. Just shortening the time interval check is the only way. I don't any option to make it real time though (unlike on outlook which immediately updates on a new email).

Also TB will close when you click the close button on its window. If you want it to remain on the notification area you can install an add-on. I don't remember the exact name but just search for "notification" in available addons.
    TB has always received mail on all my accounts immediately , the mail comes in and is there whatever the time intervial is set to on IMAP so it knows the mail has come it just does not notify ?

Yea im aware of how to deal with keeping it open / keeping it in the notification area but cheers for the heads up

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
    So you already tried Evolution Mail?
    Why not try Geary http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-gea...ative-systems/
    No not tired of it it just stops automatically checking for mail after ubuntu has been suspended :-/ i have to shut it down and re-start it before it continues auto checking for mail ?

I shall take a look at your link , does it have unified folders though

Thx.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast