Thread: Use an Android Phone as a Bootable Ubuntu "USB Drive"?

Beans

Question Use an Android Phone as a Bootable Ubuntu "USB Drive"?

Hi,

I have a handful of bootable Ubuntu usb drives which work great for "roaving" Ubuntu, rescuing friend's systems, etc.; I am wondering though, would it be possible to have a bootable Ubuntu install on an android phone? That is, to boot Ubuntu on an external pc, from the android via usb? While keeping the operational android functionality as well, of course. It would be A) awesome and B) one less bit of kit to carry around. I feel like it's doable, but it is a bit beyond my scope. Does anyone have any thoughts, or has heard of anyone pulling this off?

Thanks!
    HUZZAH UBUNTU, HUZZAH!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Use an Android Phone as a Bootable Ubuntu "USB Drive"?

In older Android versions where the default was the mass storage protocol it was theoretically possible but in the real world it resulted almost impossible due to the way Android detected and activated access to its flash memory. In order to achieve the desired effect the phone would need to be already sharing when the user is about to choose the boot device in BIOS and most of the times that didn't happen.
    Not really doable, in a nutshell.
    Now, all the current Android versions moved to MTP/PTP protocols instead of the traditional mass storage, making it impossible.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

from the android via usb? While keeping the operational android functionality as well, of course. It would be A) awesome and B) one less bit of kit to carry around. I feel like it's doable, but it is a bit beyond my scope.

Kool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dose123 View Post
    I feel like it's doable, but it is a bit beyond my scope.
    Hi, welcome.

I already explained why it isn't. Please read the previous post.
    Galiza Nação!