Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uploaded images converted to jpg?

Beans

Uploaded images converted to jpg?

I have been attempting to upload a few images to the Forums in png format over the last few days, these images are about 200kbs or so in size. The uploading software seems to be downgrading the image quality and at the very least relabeling them as jpgs, I am not sure if they are actually being converted. I am not sure if this is a setting at my end or a Forums' setting?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Uploaded images converted to jpg?

Attachments jpeg/jpg/png all have the same file size limit and image size limit.

I've just added a .png that's 175kB - it's changed it to .jpg

I've added a .png that's 38.5kB - it's left it as .png

All set to 1000000 bytes.

So I would say from that - file size too big - expect a change to .jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thanks for looking at this Elfy. I suspected that I had been hitting a file size limit but with the 'Enhanced Attachment Uploading' set to 'Off" in the Forums' setup there is an Attachment Key that promises quite large sizes for png and friends. I attach a partial screenshot of this Key.

I remember these large file sizes being possible a while back, have a look at the big boy attached to this guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024592

A few years back I will admit! Possibly the file sizes have been more regulated in a Forums upgrade at some stage? I cannot pin it down any sooner than that....

PS I felt a little nostalgic looking at that Intrepid Ibex screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post

A few years back I will admit! Possibly the file sizes have been more regulated in a Forums upgrade at some stage? I cannot pin it down any sooner than that....

PS I felt a little nostalgic looking at that Intrepid Ibex screenshot
    Entirely possible, I'll try and get to look at those soon (ish)

Yep - I quite liked the Hardy/Intrepid screenshots - then some youngster must have turned up with "abstract is the in thing" - let's have random shapes - sort of. I'll say no more

Beans

Thanks Elfy

Beans

The issue seems to have been resolved, uploaded a 200kb png today that was not converted or downsized. Thanks

Beans

I don't think here I've ever come up against the filesize limit to converted but the image size limit (1024x768) to converted happens all the time when using a widescreen monitor.

Beans

Maybe there are reasons why 1024x768 is the upper limit other than that's what it has been but the size seems a bit outdated

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Maybe there are reasons why 1024x768 is the upper limit other than that's what it has been but the size seems a bit outdated
    Add it

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncilAgenda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Fair point, but on the other hand perhaps there needs to be a compromise maximum size to accommodate the needs of all users. Not all are browsing the forum from desktop machines with 1920x1080 monitors. There are still people with older hardware and smaller resolution monitors, some use netbooks, other use tablets and some are using smartphones. And we get complaints when people post ginormous images linked from image hosting sites.

What do people think? Do we need to revise the attached image size upper limit?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast