3 17.65%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U+1 Team Discussion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

U+1 Team Discussion

The U+1 Team has been fairly dormant over the last year or so, and the ISO testing team is doing most of what the team was formed for.

Effenber0x0 hasn't been back to the Forum since October 18, 2013, and he has stopped approving new members in the team.

I'm willing to keep things going if there is still any interest in the team, so the question is, is there enough interest in the team to keep it going?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: U+1 Team

QA Ubuntu has improved quite a lot over the last year or so. Some of the ideas discussed during the formation of U+1 have been adopted into QA. That is good.

I still think that there is a need for targeted testing not only of the release but of packages and bug fixes. By targeted testing I mean testing on a great variety of hardware combinations by specifically inviting testers to test because they have a specific hardware combination. I have a feeling that this kind of testing will become important as Ubuntu moves off of the Xserver and on to Mir. Uses will want the special effects that come with CCSM and any replacement and any special effects will need to be tested on Mir.

As regards the flavours, whether it is Mir or some Wayland compliant compositor, it will need testing on all kinds of hardware combinations.

To give an example. I have a Nvidia GT220. With Ubuntu Desktop Next and Nouveau I get login screen bounce but with the Nvidia driver I get passed both the LightDM login screen and the phone home page login screen. It is clear that Nouveau will need patching and the move from Xserver+lightdm to Mir will need testing even on such old hardware as I have. And then there are applications like Firefox that may not run on Mir and may have to run on Xmir. It all has to be tested.

Machine testing is fine. And it would be all that was necessary if all users were machines. But we are not. And we mess things up in a way that a machine program cannot do.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 9th, 2014 at 09:50 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The U+1 Team has been fairly dormant over the last year or so, and the ISO testing team is doing most of what the team was formed for.
    This is true and many in the U+1 Team are basically seconded over to Q/A when time permits. One of the drawbacks of Q/A is that to develop and involved centralized discussion on an issue or bug is passed on to other links like launchpad for example. So , what I am getting at is that the U+1 Team not only represents part of a core of volunteers in Q/A but also act as seconders to contribute 'content', mostly at ubuntuforums, and has proven valuable enough in and of itself would you not agree?

As for the wikis .. ahh yes. I should bear most of the blame for not streamlining them and following through on some of effenbergs core ideas. Also , as we had discussed last spring , we had decided to try and streamline the wikis and to get rid of some redundant content and subject headings that we are not using.

Also I have been remiss in keeping up to date the Commonly Used SUDO Commands sticky at Ubuntu_Forums Development. What may appear to be dormancy is actually me be extremely busy with customers and other responsibilities. Also , maintaining 3 KVM with 8 towers + 4 rotating candidates is a lot of work and so what may be lacking in content in the wiki is being applied on hard installs of Ubuntu current development releases. That makes me a better trouble shooter (although others may disagree).

As November apporaches I find myself with, perhaps, a little extra time to hopefully do some editing and updating of what I committed to do.

As for effenberg being gone from the core, temporary or permanent, nor accepting new members, do you not have the access to admit such new members?

On another note I also appreciate that you have to do some housekeeping here and I too like to keep things tidy, so, if you think U+1 is defunct and just taking up space in the cloud then I would have to back your decision as you are one of the original frame holders of U+1s formation.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    QA Ubuntu has improved quite a lot over the last year or so. Some of the ideas discussed during the formation of U+1 have been adopted into QA. That is good.

I still think that there is a need for targeted testing not only of the release but of packages and bug fixes. By targeted testing I mean testing on a great variety of hardware combinations by specifically inviting testers to test because they have a specific hardware combination. I have a feeling that this kind of testing will become important as Ubuntu moves off of the Xserver and on to Mir. Uses will want the special effects that come with CCSM and any replacement and any special effects will need to be tested on Mir.
    I agree for the most part. The thing is if we just refer new testers over to Q/A without a sandbox, that just doesn't make sense. I think basically that Ubuntu Development Version echo encapsulizes that sandbox. It certainly has morphed a bit , but, it represents the core idea of U+1 and so even for that reason, it, (the U+1 concept) should be kept as a viable resource dynamically. Otherwise the data and research gets fragmented and shelved and makes it that much more difficult to authenticate real bugs and vulnerabilities.

Those of us that have wearwithall left from the last snoozer of a cycle <jk> may feel more enthusiastic to tackle real breakage in the next dev cycle. If we break up the spirit of U+1 it could cause chaos in Q/A and the results comming from there would be more regimental and that would exclude a plethora of proof of concept test cases which I feel would be disasterous to the overall quality of Ubuntu as the peoples choice as a rock solid free and open source alternative to Windows or other commercially based OSes.

The other question, the elephant in the room so to speak, is, are current members of U+1 who have been contributing their free time to the project still willing to carry the ball?

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I allowed my membership of the U+1 team to lapse because I could not see U+1 as a team going anywhere. If this poll indicates that there is sufficient interest in being members of a team like U+1 then we will need to discuss how things are going to be done and what it is we think we can achieve. I know that teams need a formal structure but teams also need to do some work. A team of community testers needs to test and produce results.

EDIT: For those looking in and do not know what we are talking about, have a look at this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1

If anyone thinks this concept is a good idea and may be want to be part of it, then vote in the poll.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 10th, 2014 at 03:03 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro

I received an e-mail notice that my U+1 account would lapse. I went to cariboo907' launchpad site and clicked 'Join'. I am interested in keeping it going. I test and report as best as possible with what time I have. Q/A , report there. Ubuntu Development Version (formerly known as U+1), report there.
    Easy. I don't need a philosophers stone to be part of U+1.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

EDIT: For those looking in and do not know what we are talking about, have a look at this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U+1

If anyone thinks this concept is a good idea and may be want to be part of it, then vote in the poll.

Regards.
    That link is designated to be obsoleted. I have been working with cariboo907 in early spring and we had put forth a simple and more comprehensive description of what U+1 is representative of. I think it would eliminate a lot of confusion and duplicity.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/sandbox

Regards..

Edit:

The new wiki would serve as "This wiki page serves as a home base for the U+1 testing team".

My apologies for not notifying other members about this. It was because the original founder was absent that we decided to append and parse the original wiki , however, it was not that simple as there was some sort of bug with Moin Moin and we could not edit the original headers and had to start anew.
    Last edited by ventrical; October 10th, 2014 at 04:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As for effenberg being gone from the core, temporary or permanent, nor accepting new members, do you not have the access to admit such new members?
    I do have administrator access to the team, and I do still add new members. The only reason this really came up, is that Elfy noticed while renewing someone, that all the memberships were set to expire on October 14, 2014. Someone has renewed all the members until October of 2015, so nobody will expire in the near future.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I do have administrator access to the team, and I do still add new members. The only reason this really came up, is that Elfy noticed while renewing someone, that all the memberships were set to expire on October 14, 2014. Someone has renewed all the members until October of 2015, so nobody will expire in the near future.
    Thank you.

For clarification purposes, may I recommend that we adopt the reformed wiki which is currently sandboxed here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/sandbox as the new representative wiki of U+1 or perhaps you would like to make this an item of the current discussion also ?

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have no objection to the previous U+1 wiki pages being deleted. But while they are still in existence they do at least show the kind of ideas that we had in mind. And the pages may stimulate onlookers to become interested in going beyond uncoordinated testing.

Regards

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast