Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proprietary drivers are not proposed since Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Proprietary drivers are not proposed since Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits installation

Hello people !

At the end of august I've decided to install the 64 bits version of Ubuntu 14.04, previously I was on the 32 bits version. I've made a clean install and after the install I saw that the nvidia proprietary driver were not proposed anymore unlike my previous run on the 32 bits, I've opened a bug on launchpad : but at this time, this is not yet solved so I use for now a PPA which seems to have the latest version.

If anybody has the solution.

Thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Proprietary drivers are not proposed since Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits installation

What NVIDIA card do you have?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Proprietary drivers are not proposed since Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits installation

The Nvidia GT 740.

Beans
    Distro

You've tried installing proprietary drivers from the Ubuntu Software Center?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No. Since in the 32 bits I had them already on the sofwtare update manager, I assumed that in 64 bits it would be the same.

Beans
    Distro

Normal Ubuntu releases do not have proprietary drivers already activated. You need to install them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

By "software update manager" you mean System settings > Software&Updates then the rightmost tab "Additional Drivers"? If so yes, it should appear there regardless of the CPU architecture.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    Normal Ubuntu releases do not have proprietary drivers already activated. You need to install them.
    Well the last times I have installed a normal Ubuntu release before the 14.04 64 bits (so if I remember well the 11.04, 11.09 en 12.04 in 32 bits), Ubuntu has always proposed me in "additional driver" tab of the update manager, the nvidia proprietary driver. Before having a GT740 I had a 8400 GS and it was recognized and the driver proposed. I had to activate it yes, but it was available. This is not the case with my 14.04 64 bits installation and I've done the installation twice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Vladlenin5000 View Post
    By "software update manager" you mean System settings > Software&Updates then the rightmost tab "Additional Drivers"? If so yes, it should appear there regardless of the CPU architecture.
    Yes exactly whay I mean.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Looks like the GT740 wasn't supported until nvidia-337, and Ubuntu 14.04 only has nvidia-331. Perhaps this is why it didn't offer any additional driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast