Thread: Ubuntu or OpenSUSE for my needs?

Beans

Ubuntu or OpenSUSE for my needs?

Okay so I have been using Linux a little while now, and I love Unity and KDE5, which I want on my desktop which is no issue, but I am looking at advice for other programs and which distro would be better.

So I want to do programming and thinking of using Eclipse, possibly, but I also want to do some gaming on the system either via Steam in Linux or KVM PCI Passthrough for specific games such as Diablo 3, games I will play native are things like Team Fortress 2, I may get CS:GO and I shall also be playing Witcher 2.
    I am unsure also of which drivers I should be using, what is the state of Open Source drivers in Linux for a 6870, I can always update the kernel if need be.

So which distro would offer me the best solutions, I really like YaST, but I just like Ubuntu for its simplicity.

So which would you suggest? Ubuntu Minimal with Unity, or OpenSUSE minimal with KDE5?

Many thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu or OpenSUSE for my needs?

I am a Ubuntu user. I have never tried Opensuse. This is a Ubuntu users forum. Guess, what distribution I recommend? Did you need to ask?
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A minimal install isn't so minimal once you install the desktop environment. Nothing wrong with that approach (I've done it) but you get to the same place easier and faster using the regular install image.

Both Ubuntu and OpenSuse have large repositories, and both have facilities to provide unofficial unsupported pacakges (PPA's and the OpenSuse Build System). I suspect pretty much everything available for one is available for the other, with the exception of relatively few distro-specific tools. Check their repos if you need to be sure about a specific package (Ubuntu: http://packages.ubuntu.com/; OpenSuse: http://software.opensuse.org/131/en).

OpenSuse's font rendering is not as good as Ubuntu's, if that's an issue for you. Several patch sets are available to improve it. These seem to rely on the Infinality patches. I've never found a port of the Ubuntu font patches to OpenSuse (I've looked).

Current release of OpenSuse is 13.1, which has been out for some time. A beta of 13.2 is available, with the final release set in November.