Thread: Mic Problems I've tried Pavucontrol!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Question Mic Problems I've tried Pavucontrol!

So, I was looking for a solution to a mic that has distortion or nothing. Mine barely picks up anything. I've already tried the alsamixer and pavucontrol solutions. Please help.

Thanks guys.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Mic Problems I've tried Pavucontrol!

UPDATE:

Just watched my video. I unplug my webcam mic to show what happens in pavu when I do that, and the sound came back when I plugged it back in?! Still need help though because it's temperamental.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What is the computer that you are using? What is the microphone that you are using? Some microphone ports put out 5 volts DC and require a microphone that takes 5 volts to get decent gain out of it. Other microphone ports are really Line-in ports. They don't have strong enough preamps to raise the signal level to something usable.

Open a terminal:

Code:
    alsamixer
    Look for a capture switch called "microphone boost".
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

I've tried alsamixer too. There's two screenshots of alsa in the settings I've got it in ATM.

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5535. I don't know the specs of my mic jack. I'm using a Panther GT webcam and my internal mic. They both work, but my headphone mic doesn't. I'm using a basic trust headset.

Alsamixer Page1.pngAlsamixer Page2.png

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How is the headset plugged in? USB or microphone 1/8" jack? Does your webcam have a microphone? Internal laptop mics are crappy. They might as well include a can and some string.

What is the output of:

Code:
    aplay -l
    The specification page reveals the following:

Designed for the value conscious mobile professional, ESPRIMO™ Mobile is the perfect synthesis of form, function and style.

RealTek ALC268
    HD Audio-in: Line-in, Microphone
    The RealTek ALC268 chip is OK. Do you have two input ports, a Line-in and Microphone-in?

Value conscious means made of cat food. Perfect synthesis of form, function, and style means the laptop is a compromise of all three and does none of them well.

My Acer laptop has an ALC268 with both an "Internal Mic Boost" and a "Mic Boost". It's possible that the webcam or the internal microphone is blocking the headset microphone.
    Last edited by tgalati4; October 4th, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: Mic Problems I've tried Pavucontrol!

Mic jack at the front. It's a regular 3.5mm. Webcam has a mic, but everything about my cam is cheap and crappy, just like the internal. I've always had bad experiences with internal mics. I'm a bit of a PC buff and people ask me to fix stuff sometimes. Some of the problems are with mics. And half of the time I walk out their front door and say, "Stick your short arm in your long pocket and shell out for a good mic".

Code:
     aplay -l
    returns:

Code:
     **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: SIS966 [HDA SIS966], device 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    I have two jacks, and by the sound of it, it's a line in and mic in, although don't quote me because I'm somewhat a novice on the audio front. I would have thought it's whatever you said.