Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Brother Priners and Scanners Just Got Easier

Beans

Re: Installing Brother Priners and Scanners Just Got Easier

I am updating from 12.04 to 14.04, 32 -> 64 bit. Using the Brother "Driver Install Tool" was a big help. Thanks for the recommendation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ibsandy View Post
    I am updating from 12.04 to 14.04, 32 -> 64 bit. Using the Brother "Driver Install Tool" was a big help. Thanks for the recommendation.
    I also upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04 and, while my DCP-7065DN printer would work, the scanner would not.

I will add one comment. If the tool doesn't work, please read the instructions (those provided when you download) carefully. I managed to mess it up the first time because I had not followed the directions carefully.

The first time I tried I *thought* it had worked, but apparently not. I deleted the printer (System setting printer) and then re-ran the installer precisely as indicated.

Bingo.. printer and scanner now working.

And a thank you to the original poster.
    Last edited by rwigle; November 5th, 2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Clarification only

Beans

Thank you for these answers. They helped me install my printer.

Unfortunately, the scanner doesn't work. Both Simple Scan and Skanlite report that they can't find a scanner.
    My printer is connected using a USB cable.

Operating system = Kubuntu 14.04

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Also new to Ubuntu (all is great cept can't print ...) and have DCP-585CW on wired LAN. All windows computers connect fine. Read / carried out process above but errors to do with files not found.
    PLease offer any suggestion to me. Thanks very much.

My install attempt (2) => root@richrobi-A7C:/home/richrobi/Downloads/Brother Printer# bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* DCP-585CW
    You are going to install following packages.
    dcp585cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb
    dcp585cwcupswrapper-1.1.2-2.i386.deb
    brscan3-0.2.11-4.i386.deb
    brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.i386.deb
    OK? [y/N] ->y

dpkg -x dcp585cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb /
    dpkg -x dcp585cwcupswrapper-1.1.2-2.i386.deb /
    cp: cannot stat ‘/home/richrobi/Downloads/Brother’: No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘Printer/dcp585cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb’: No such file or directory
    dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive `dcp585cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb': No such file or directory
    dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive `dcp585cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb': No such file or directory
    linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1: line 1887: DEBIAN/control.tmp: No such file or directory
    cat: DEBIAN/control: No such file or directory
    mv: cannot stat ‘DEBIAN/control.tmp’: No such file or directory
    dpkg-deb: error: failed to open package info file `./brother_driver_packdir/DEBIAN/control' for reading: No such file or directory
    dpkg -b ./brother_driver_packdir dcp585cwlpr-1.1.2-2a.i386.deb
    cp: cannot stat ‘/home/richrobi/Downloads/Brother’: No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat ‘Printer/dcp585cwcupswrapper-1.1.2-2.i386.deb’: No such file or directory
    dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive `dcp585cwcupswrapper-1.1.2-2.i386.deb': No such file or directory

Beans

Thank you so much. This solved mine instantly.

Beans

Thanks "robot_chicken_parm" - there appear to be several webpages at Brother and my downloads from the other pages didn't get the MFC-J43W scanner working. You link worked flawlessly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The downloadable driver install tool for brothers is really great stuff.

To even improve on it, the bro people would have to make it install all 3 sections: scan driver, printer driver, fax driver in a single install routine. On my MFC 4in1 bro, it misses out on the fax stuff (I've got it done manually).

But scan & print works like a charm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ecomer View Post
    Thanks "robot_chicken_parm" - there appear to be several webpages at Brother and my downloads from the other pages didn't get the MFC-J43W scanner working. You link worked flawlessly.
    I also want to thank "robot_chicken_parm" for the link.

Last Sunday (2015-09-20) my 12-year-and-1-month-old Brother MFC-8820DN finally quit.

It would still print and receive faxes but refused to copy or scan. IMHO, it had had a remarkable lifespan for a piece of electronic-plus-mechanical equipment!

I spent several hours checking specifications on possible replacements, and wound up purchasing a Brother MFC-8910DW. The Brother-provided script (linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1) worked beautifully, quickly, and easily in installing the MFC-8910DW.

The new machine is running just fine, and noticeably faster than the MFC-8820DN.
    Last edited by rewyllys; October 6th, 2015 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

I have a brother HL5450DN mono laser. The driver works well unless I have jobs that follow. Even the same job and this is not consistent. I have a wired USB connection to the printer. I am using 14.04. I have installed the driver using the tool then removed it and manually reinstalled with same results. What is happening? I can run the first job perfectly even duplex and maybe the second job. I do not know when it will happen but the printer will take a job and start printing hundreds of pages with a line of garbage on it. The only way I know to prevent this from happening is to turn the printer off then on. It never messes up the first job. I can do this since the printer is right next to my desk. This would be very inconvenient if the printer wasn't sitting right next to me. Now I am worried that I am going to wear out the toggle off/on switch out. I classify myself as an experienced amateur in Linux in other words I am comfortable with using the terminal. Any ideas of what is going on? Is there garbage that is not getting cleared out.

Beans

This works nicely to install the printer in Ubuntu 16.04 and/or Mint 18.
    Unfortunately it installs TWO printers, but NOT the scanner.

Printer concerned: MFC-J6702DW
    Installed printers are called MFC-J6720DW and MFCJ6720DW (note the DASH)
    MFCJ6720DW is the printer that prints; the other one sends data to a black hole.

Does anyone have a solution so I can use the scanner as well?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hans

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast