Thread: How do I clean up a Tomcat server install after an Upgrade to 14.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How do I clean up a Tomcat server install after an Upgrade to 14.04?

Server was originally 12.04.2, It was running LAMP and Tomcat. Finally got around to upgrading the release on tht server... Now it has an error on boot saying "TomCat 6 is not installed."

Since upgrading yesterday, now I see both Tomcat 6 and 7 installed? When I list out the packages from both, the only difference I see is that package libtomcat7java is there and package libtomcat6java is not. Otherwise, both are the same.

Checking into it, I now see pieces of TomCat6 and Tomcat7. It must have upgraded along the way... but not cleanly removed the previous version(?).

So how do I remove Tomcat6 without effecting Tomcat7? Or should I copy over whatever the config files are and remove all Tomcat instances... to install fresh?

Edit--
    Looking into it deeper this morning, neither are running right now. So the plan of action might be easier to remove both, then install Tomcat 7... What files should I keep, if any?
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; September 30th, 2014 at 03:32 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Re: How do I clean up a Tomcat server install after an Upgrade to 14.04?

Unfortunately I have seen this problem all too often when users do a distro update

I find it expedient to use a virtual machine and install a new version of Ubuntu fresh with each new version

then once configured I can bring it into production easily

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You do an rsync or dd copy between?

I have 2 other servers here running kvm. If you have tips on that... I could start doing that from now on.

This one server, I going to retire... But my friend that is buying it wanted Tomcat and all my management utils to stay...

Just thought I was doing him a favor by updating it. Not to be causing me more work.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Solved. Uninstalled... purged. Installed.