Thread: Connect 2 PC via Ethernet Cable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Arrow Connect 2 PC via Ethernet Cable

Does I need Standard Ethernet cable or Crossover Ethernet cable to hook up 2 PC running Ubuntu 14.04?

I just want to transfer some files from one PC to another with minor headaches.}

Thanx!
    Last edited by mayagrafix; September 29th, 2014 at 09:04 PM.
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Connect 2 PC via Ethernet Cable

Already tried Samba. Major disapointment. Says I dont have enough Permissions. Then said it dont support the backend. Then it dont show up at all. :>(
    Ubuntu 15.04/OS type: 64-bit/Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz × 4/Memory: 5.8 GiB/Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS/Disk: 320 GB

Beans

You can use a switch and standard CAT 6 cables or a CAT 6 crossover cable. They need to be in the same workgroup and have the same user and password setup for seamless file transfers. You need proper permissions on both sides or use super user rights.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can use any CAT5/5E/6 cable if either of the machine's NIC's is gigabit capable (crossover switching is done via software built into the NIC's BIOS).
    Then, setup ICS (internet connection sharing) on one of the machines. There you have it.