Thread: CIFS mount error(5): Input/output error-tried everything

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

CIFS mount error(5): Input/output error-tried everything

For the life of me I can't figure out why I can't mount a CIFS share that's in my network. The CIFS share is a Western Digital MyBook World Edition 1TB with the Blue Rings (IP is 192.168.0.50, hostname is circle, share name is public). What's most weird is that it mounts just fine on 1 of my machines but not the other. Both machines are running Xubuntu 14.04 and they are both running Samba Version: 2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.3 per aptitude show. Both machines have the same /etc/fstab entry which is
    Code:
    //192.168.0.50/public	/mnt/circle 	cifs	noauto,rw,noperm,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/etc/samba/.credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000	0	0
    the credentials files on each machine are also the same as far as contents as well as owner and permissions. When I run the command "smbtree" and I enter my network password for the share it shows up like this
    Code:
    	\\CIRCLE         		Circle
    		\\CIRCLE\IPC$           	IPC Service (Circle)
    		\\CIRCLE\PUBLIC
    I believe i have tried everything in my power to get this to mount on my gaming rig but it just will not mount, even using a manual mount command with verbose returns the following
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs --verbose -o username=daniel //192.168.0.50/public /mnt/circle
    Password for daniel@//192.168.0.50/public:
    mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.0.50,unc=\\192.168.0.50\public,user=dan iel,pass=********
    mount error(5): Input/output error
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I did realize that I had an entry in my /etc/hosts file which made circle hostname an incorrect IP but I have since removed that hosts entry and restarted my entire machine so I am still at a loss of how to troubleshoot this. The share mounts just fine on my other machine but not on this machine. Is there anything I haven't checked yet? I read a couple google search results and some are saying that Input/Output error are related to a bad filesystem on the share I am trying to mount but that doesn't explain why i'm able to mount it just fine on my other machine. I've unmounted and remounted it a ton of times on the other machine and it continues to work. I've also restarted the MyBook as well to no avail.

What other suggestions do you have for me?

Beans

Re: CIFS mount error(5): Input/output error-tried everything

what kernel version do you have, 3.13.0-36-generic may require a patch to get cifs working again

Beans
    Distro

3.13.0-37-generic is on the machine that I can't get the CIFS to mount and 3.13.0-35-generic is on the machine that it DOES mount on.

Beans
    Distro

found the bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1373473 waiting the fix to be pushed to trusty

UPDATE: to get around this you can either boot using the kernel that someone uploaded to that bug report OR just boot into a previous kernel like I did (since i don't trust random kernels posted to the web), I am using kernel 3.13.0-35-generic until this bug get's fixed
    Last edited by dannyboy79; October 4th, 2014 at 12:33 AM.