Thread: 12.04 -> 14.04 update fails with messages about failed to fetch translation files

Beans
    Hidden!

12.04 -> 14.04 update fails with messages about failed to fetch translation files

Hi,

I just updated from Lubuntu 11.10 to 12.04. That seems to have gone fine; I'm using it now. I ran do-release-upgrade to update from 12.04 to 14.04, but it aborts before beginning the update proper. There are messages like
    Code:
    W:Failed to fetch 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_main_i18n_Translation-en 
    rename failed, No such file or directory 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz).
    (full list below)

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Any ideas on how to fix?

Code:
    Error during update 
    A problem occurred during the update. This is usually some sort of 
    network problem, please check your network connection and retry. 

W:Failed to fetch 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_main_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    , W:Failed to fetch 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_restricted_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_universe_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_restricted_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_restricted_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_restricted_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_restricted_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_main_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_restricted_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_main_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_restricted_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_universe_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-backports_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_main_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_main_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_restricted_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_restricted_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_restricted_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_restricted_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_restricted_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fGB.gz). 
    gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_universe_i18n_Translation-en 
    (/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz.decomp.gz 
    -> 
    /var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-proposed_universe_i18n_Translation-en.gz). 
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or 
    old ones used instead. 

Restoring original system state

Aborting
    Reading package lists... Done    
    Building dependency tree          
    Reading state information... Done
    Building data structures... Done

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 12.04 -> 14.04 update fails with messages about failed to fetch translation files

"This is usually some sort of network problem, please check your network connection and retry."

(quoted from the terminal output)

It's usualy less hassle to just burn 14.04 to a USB stick and do a clean install. In my experience it has always been much faster to do that than go through the upgrade process; its much less prone to fail too, as it can finish even if you have no network connection.
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 12.04 -> 14.04 update fails with messages about failed to fetch translation files

I don't think it's a network problem at my end, maybe some files are missing from the update server? Or perhaps a bug in the update program which tries to fetch the wrong URLs?

I have attached the entire console output on doing do-release-upgrade in case anyone wants to take a look.
    Attached Files Attached Files