Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built-in webcam not recognized in newly bought Dell Latitude laptop

Beans

Built-in webcam not recognized in newly bought Dell Latitude laptop

Hi all!
    Basically, the title says it all. I have bought Latitude E-6440 by Dell recently with preinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on it. The webcam is not seen by Ubuntu at all. I checked with Dell support website, and I found only one large file with pack of drivers for my model. Webcam was not listed there. I installed it anyways, and nothing changed. Cheese, Kamoso and Skype are not showing anything, no flash lights near camera spot (there should be some, according to the manual that came with laptop ).
    I am planning to contact Dell, since there is still active warranty. But do you guys think there is something we can do ourselves to make it work?
    I fear the driver for this webcam just hasn't been written yet at all in the world.

Thanks to all who can help!

Beans

Re: Built-in webcam not recognized in newly bought Dell Latitude laptop

Start by giving the output of the terminal commands "lsusb" and "lspci" . The camera should show up on one of them, so at least you can see what kind of camera it is.

You might also look at the tail end of your /var/log/syslog file.

Does Cheese show any webcam Devices at all in Preferences?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The status LED should indicate whether or not the camera is on; there should be a keyboard switch (FN+somekey) for the camera.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

Thanks for your reply, guys!

The output for lsusb is
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8008 Intel Corp. 
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    The output for lspci is
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-LM (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d4)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d4)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev d4)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev d4)
    00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #7 (rev d4)
    00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #8 (rev d4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation QM87 Express LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)
    0e:00.0 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Device 8520 (rev 01)
    The tail of /var/log/syslog corresponding to the last boot (as far as I understood what it means) has more than 200 lines there. Should I still post them?
    The problem with Cheese is that Preferences line is inactive ( I can't select it ). The only lines clickable are Quit and two Move to Trash lines.

Vladlenin5000,
    sorry I don't know what "status LED" is.
    I googled that there might be a key switch in some cases, but manual says nothing about it. Don't know how to find the combination. All of the F* keys on top of the keyboard do nothing to webcam.

Beans
    Distro

Dell usually implement either a physical switch or the FN+F2 keyboard switch, or both.
    Yours has a "wireless switch" that's most certainly switched off thus preventing the device to be listed.
    The status LED is near the actual webcam and if you don't see it the webcam is OFF.

Please refer to your user's manual before anything else or check here: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...uide_en-us.pdf
    Galiza Nação!

Beans
    Distro

Also check whether or not the webcam is enabled at BIOS. Look for "miscellaneous devices".
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

Uhm, which of the two does a wireless switch belong to, physical or keyboard?
    I tried FN+F2 combination, doesn't work.
    The manual you gave is precisely the one I have, only in paper copy. As I said, manual says nothing about the switch (as far as I looked).
    During the boot, what button should I press to enter BIOS? Start up screen shows nothing except DELL logo.

Beans

None of my Dell laptops has ever had a Fn key to enable/disable the webcam - though there are keys to do other things like enable/disable wireless, touchpad, volume, etc.

I didn't see any webcam devices listed in your output.

To enter BIOS Setup, restart the computer and tap the F2 key (maybe two or three times until it "takes" - tap it, don't hold the key down). The webcam may indeed be disabled there, though I've never seen a Webcam control in a Dell BIOS, either. But this is a business-class laptop so there may be extra controls for example to protect your privacy. A webcam that can be disabled in the BIOS is impossible to hack remotely to let someone spy on you.

Beans

I just found a physical switch on the side of the laptop. All it does is turn on/off wireless card.

Beans

I got into BIOS, thanks. There was indeed System Configuration -> Miscellaneous Devices. But the camera was checked there already ( as the rest of the devices ).
    Still nothing works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast