Thread: How to run binutils installed by dpkg on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Red face How to run binutils installed by dpkg on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I know I have binutils installed on my Ubuntu VM, and can verify it with:
    Code:
    sansari@ubuntu:/usr/share/bug$ ld -v 
    GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.22
    sansari@ubuntu:/usr/share/bug$
    I installed it a while back. Now I am trying to build for a different platform, and I should be able to use the same one I installed. Right? Basically I am trying to issue this command:

Code:
    ../binutils-2.11.2/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX
    from this url: http://neptune.billgatliff.com/gettingStarted.html

But I don't know where the executable for binutils is. I found this site after searching online: http://askubuntu.com/questions/17667...not-showing-it

And ran locate, and I get a huge output. None of the folders seems to be the executable that I am looking for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How to run binutils installed by dpkg on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Moved to Packaging & Compiling Programs.

Beans

I don't really understand your question - there is no "executable for binutils", it is a collection of executables (ld, ar, objdump and so on)

What are you trying to do, exactly? Re-configure a previously-downloaded binutils source package in order to cross-compile binutils for a different platform?

Beans

Yes. I am trying to compile another source. Actually when I initially created this build environment for the android platform, I used the toolchain to compile the source. Now I think I should be able to use the same tools to compile another source. But is that the right way to approach this? Should I really create another build environment?

I was mistaken about looking for the executable. I was looking at this command:
    Code:
    ../binutils-2.11.2/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX
    I now see that I was mistaken.

You see, last time I created the build environment, I followed procedures. I learned a lot, but I need to learn more about toolchain and how I can use it to compile embeded systems code. If you have any suggestions on how I can learn more about this, such as urls, development boards, etc. Please let me know.

Thanks