Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vino (desktop sharing) seems to be rather unsecure. Should I submit a bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Exclamation Vino (desktop sharing) seems to be rather unsecure. Should I submit a bug?

I'll keep this brief. Also, for what it's worth, I'm a long-time Ubuntu user. Running Ubuntu 14.04, mostly fresh install.

1. Today, after I shut down a Steam game I was playing, I had the all-too-familiar message saying that Ubuntu had an internal error. The difference this time was that it was Vino that was the source of the trouble. (I did send the error report)
    2. I opened the dash, typed in VINO and opened the Desktop Sharing application. This made me realize that remote desktop was enabled with full access, no password was entered, and no confirmation was required.
    3. It's important to note that I have never started desktop sharing on this machine; how was this started?
    4. When I de-selected, and re-selected, and de-selected the checkbox it never once asked me for my password. Maybe I am wrong, but I sorta feel like this application should have the unlock feature that is used in the users & groups application (etc).

In summary: How was this application started, was it enabled by default? I _guarantee_ that I have never started the application. And why didn't the application require that I enter a password to make changes? Isn't this a fairly significant security breech? Should I pursue this further with a real bug report, etc?
    • Note To Self:gksudo is safer than sudo for graphical apps!

Beans

Re: Vino (desktop sharing) seems to be rather unsecure. Should I submit a bug?

After reading your post I checked 4 installs of 14.04 and 4 installs of 14.10 and desktop sharing was off by default as I never used it. Something I will check on here and there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My understanding is that vino is disabled by default. However, it does seem to be perilously easy to enable. I don't understand why it's installed by default, and if I'm doing an installation from a liveCD (not all that often these days), it's one of the first applications I remove.

A few years back I tried bringing this point to the attention of the developers, but got dismissed rather rapidly. I'm not sure what it would take for them to consider that maybe it's a serious problem.

Certainly, vino and ssh are the two commonest breaches we see in this sub-forum.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    My understanding is that vino is disabled by default. However, it does seem to be perilously easy to enable. I don't understand why it's installed by default(...)

A few years back I tried bringing this point to the attention of the developers, but got dismissed rather rapidly. I'm not sure what it would take for them to consider that maybe it's a serious problem.

Certainly, vino and ssh are the two commonest breaches we see in this sub-forum.
    I couldn't agree more,I really can't figure out why SSH and remote desktop are installed by default in all Ubuntu versions I've been using so far (the only exception that comes to mind being Lubuntu,which "only" has SSH):how can they be considered essential for an average home user,and how can the possible advantages of having them outweigh the potential safety issues,in the case of a normal user?

If someone really needs this stuff,will be certainly able to find and install it-there's really no point IMO in including it in a standard CD.

Also in light of all the recent disclosures about security holes (the latest being the bash vulnerable to arbitrary code execution via SSH and other remote interactions),such decisions should be reconsidered.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The SSH server isn't installed by default. Only the SSH client, i.e. what you need to log into some other service - it doesn't let anyone access your machine.

The SSH hacks that we see here usually arise because someone installs SSH server and doesn't realise how to secure it properly.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    The SSH server isn't installed by default. Only the SSH client, i.e. what you need to log into some other service - it doesn't let anyone access your machine.
    Right,I always forget that.As I also forgot that telnet is installed by default,another issue that I can't understand.

I mean,SSH (even the client alone),telnet,remote desktop,they all are advanced tools:if you need them,you will surely know how to find and install them.
    Why do they need to be included in a normal desktop install?

Beans

Same as for SSH, for telnet it is only the client that is installed. I don't see how that is any more of a problem than any other outgoing protocol - would you suggest removing all web (http) clients as well?

I agree about vino though - imho at the least, it should be configured by default to only allow SSH tunneled connections (interface = 'lo')

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Same as for SSH, for telnet it is only the client that is installed. I don't see how that is any more of a problem than any other outgoing protocol - would you suggest removing all web (http) clients as well?
    I don't expect everyone to agree,but I would in fact strip down the outgoing protocols in a default desktop installation to web browser,email client and package management (of course),and that's it.
    Maybe also a torrent and chat client,but really no SSH,telnet,remote desktop or any other similar application.

Can you figure out a scenario where someone really needs to use SSH,telnet,or remote desktop,but can't even figure out where to find it or how to install it? Then he shouldn't use this stuff at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Wow, I didn't realize that I had stumbled upon a bit of a sore point! I guess I'm not crazy after all. Also, as an aside, I had forgotten to subscribe to my own thread, and so I didn't know anyone had replied.

I agree that VINO should not be installed by default - because it's a server, and because it _obviously_ can be started without any security intervention (I *absolutely* guarantee that it was never started by a local user), it's clearly a very dangerous tool.

The rest, (telnet et al) could indeed be installed by the user post OS install; but I also agree with those suggesting that those don't present nearly as much of a security vulnerability. I think we should take baby steps, and see about getting VINO removed from the default install. It just seems far too vulnerable.
    • Note To Self:gksudo is safer than sudo for graphical apps!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you are serious about getting vino removed from the default installation, the place to start is the ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing. Be prepared to defend why you want it removed, as some of the developers can be quite obtuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast