Thread: Installing Ubuntu from flash drive but error says it can't find the CD-ROM

Beans

Post Installing Ubuntu from flash drive but error says it can't find the CD-ROM

First, I've never tried installing any flavor of Linux before, so bear with me. I created a bootable flash drive using Universal USB Installer. I ran the Ubuntu installer, but it quickly errors out with several error messages:

Code:
    Install: invalid user 'ubuntu' Install: invalid user 'ubuntu' Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/ ... E: Line 1 too long in source list /etc/apt/sources.list. E: No CD-ROM could be auto-detected or found using the default mount point. You may try the --cdrom option to set the CD-ROM mount point. See 'man apt-cdrom' for more information about the CD-ROM auto-detection and mount point. Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/per15/Debconf/Config.pm line 22. Umount: cant umount /cdrom: Device or resource busy Umount: cant umount /cdrom: Device or resource busy Umount: cant umount /cdrom: Device or resource busy ... Chown: invalid user: 'root:ssl-cert' pwchk: cannot open /etc/passwd chown: invalid user: 'root:root' chmod: cannot access '/etc/passwd': Input/output error chown: invalid user: 'root:shadow' usermod: user 'root' does not exist install: 'invalid user 'ubuntu' install: 'invalid user 'ubuntu'
    After that it just stalls indefinitely. There seem to be a number of things going on here, and I have no idea. It mentions the CD-ROM several times, but I am using a flash drive, not a CD or DVD. I verified that the CD drive was connected correctly. I even tried disconnecting it just to take it out of the equation, but it made no difference. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Installing Ubuntu from flash drive but error says it can't find the CD-ROM

it seems that the image was not done well.

try using unetbootin or Linux live usb or Yumi instead if you are on windows. but first make sure the md5 sum has matches the one on the website as they have to be exactly the same. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu from flash drive but error says it can't find the CD-ROM

Thanks, that did it! I downloaded the image again, made sure the md5 sum was correct, and the install went properly.