Thread: Upgraded this morning, now stuck with no X login

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Upgraded this morning, now stuck with no X login

So... have had a fully functional Ubuntu 14.04 system installed dual-boot with Win 7 on my Lenovo T530 ThinkPad for months... 12.10, 13.04 & 13.10 before that. Some hiccups with 14.04, but overall a stable system.

Until this morning.

The regular system update was grumbling about wine-compholio again as per usual. So I opened a terminal and manually ran "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get upgrade" with no problems. Then I rebooted the system, and now the gui startup hangs @ the "ubuntu" with the five status dots indefinitely.

I can get to a terminal via Ctrl+Alt+F1, and back via Ctrl+Alt+F7, but no idea where to go from there.

I can reboot into Win7 just fine, FWIW.

I really need to get to some work I have on my Linux desktop ASAP so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgraded this morning, now stuck with no X login

Try Advanced Options for Ubuntu and then Recovery mode and then Resume. And if you get to a desktop try experimenting with video drivers.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well... that might have been a step in the right direction, but still no luck.

I'd done that once before actually and it just gave a couple popups about entering recovery / low-results mode, may not work, may need to reboot again, etc.

Went thru the process twice in a row and this time it brought me to a login screen.... which I them logged into and.... nothing. Just a blank bruised purple back ground and a cursor. No dock no unity, nothing. I can move the mouse but clicks/keystrokes do nothing. Ctrl+Alt+F1 just takes me to a blank purple console window from where there is no escape short of power cycling the machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Figures... only other option I hadn't tried... went from new/current kernel - 3.13-30 - to 3.13-24 (normal mode) and voila! booted right up to the login window as it should. Wonder WTF changed... something between the new kernel and my video driver, I imagine?
    Last edited by memilanuk; September 22nd, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if your driver was properly installed then it should upgrade along with kernel. or at least "patch" the kernel on upgrade.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anything more specific and/or helpful, like how to check if the driver was 'properly installed'?

Beans

do you know your vid drivers, is it nvidia? I had the same exact issue on my dell latitude E6530 lap with nvidia, i resolved it

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2245320

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yep, Nvidia binary/proprietary drivers (331.38 for NVS5400M).

Went thru the process you did in the other thread... seems to be working for now.

Thanks!

Monte

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

well that's good to hear. people can't give more specific and detailed advice unless they know the PC specs. luckily one user had similar issue and directed you to a solution. the solution could be there a lot faster. here is how: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

follow up to this solution, there something wrong with latest ubuntu update (few days ago), its still messing up my screen when I close the laptop lid and it goes to sleep. When opening the laptop, its completely frozen, never wakes up, i have to reboot it. Something w nvidia drivers not responding.